The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $4.3 billion, with 7,000 employees all serving over a million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the City Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
We promote work-life integration with a focus on growth to bring out the best in our team members. Come join us in making San Jose the most vibrant, equitable, sustainable, and innovative city in America!
The City of San José’s Information Technology Department is seeking a Senior SharePoint Administrator responsible for design and implementation of Microsoft's collaboration platform within organization. The ideal candidate possesses strong technical experience to design and provide sophisticated solutions utilizing Microsoft SharePoint platform, ensure SharePoint deployment, and support services delivery at an enterprise level.
Skills and responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Developing strategy, roadmap, and feature enhancements for a City-wide enterprise content management and records management solution.
- Defining Physical Architecture, Logical Architecture, and Capacity Planning and making sure the environment is scalable.
- Developing site Information Architecture plan and administering best practices and governance procedures for SharePoint Online sites.
- Defining the Information Architecture and Taxonomy and clearly defining Taxonomy Term Store for the whole Enterprise.
- Implementing best practices and Governance procedures for SharePoint custom solutions.
- Creating access control policies/plans for SharePoint Online
- Participating in Architectural Peer Review activities with other groups such as Database Administration (DBA), Active Directory (AD), Network and Security teams, to ensure that there is no point of failure.
- Leading functional migration and modernization of SharePoint solutions.
- Leading and facilitating information gathering sessions to validate business cases.
- Gathering and documenting business and functional objectives.
- Defining project deliverable standards and ensuring quality of customer deliverables and alignment to industry best practices.
- Defining the Detailed Disaster Recovery strategy which aligns into Enterprise DR strategy.
- Demonstrating knowledge of SharePoint Farms, SharePoint Server roles, SharePoint installation, configuration and administration, Central Administration management, and PowerShell administration modules.
- Performing site and data migration tasks between cross farms, sites, and site objects.
- Creating and maintaining documentation for SharePoint infrastructures, deployments, and service specifications.
- Collaborating with the Infrastructure and DBA groups on backup/recovery operations and disaster recovery testing related to SharePoint implementation.
- Working with developers to deploy custom applications and solutions to production and pre-production environments.
- Managing Service applications and creating web applications and site collections.
- Defining and enforcing security rules at the farm and site collection levels.
- Knowledge of project methodologies (Waterfall, Agile) is desirable.
- Responsible for mentoring SharePoint development and support team.
- Demonstrating the ability to maintain good relationships with key vendors and working closely with them to understand their offerings and roadmaps.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity that presents important challenges, want to help a City thrive through collaboration technology, and have an excellent track record leading SharePoint solution, this is the role for you!
$124,883.00-$152,068.00yearly, The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Enterprise Principal Technology Analyst (EPTA) classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
- Deadline: n/a
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field.
Experience: Five (5) years of professional level experience in computer applications, systems, networks, or telecommunications work, of which at least two (2) years include responsibility in the development, implementation, and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
- Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
- Completion of a master’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required two (2) years of experience in the development, implementation, and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for these positions may include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations:
- 5-7 years of experience leading Enterprise Content Management deployments on SharePoint online is highly desirable.
- Experience in SharePoint and Microsoft 365 architecture with a full stack specialization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Technology, Enterprise architectures, and large-scale implementations.
- Advanced knowledge and experience managing SharePoint as an Intranet and Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and/or Document Management (DM) collaboration platform.
- Knowledge of SharePoint Server roles; SharePoint installation, configuration, and administration; central Administration management; and, PowerShell administration modules.
- Deep technical and architectural understanding of administrative and functional capabilities of SharePoint Platforms and SharePoint Online.
- Demonstrates ability to stay current with Application Architecture best practices, existing and emerging technology platforms, and architectural and systems engineering industry trends.
- Ability to successfully work on and deliver multiple projects simultaneously within a small team.
- Ability to define SharePoint integration architecture with other critical systems.
- Assists in solving technical and performance problems within the technical infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 collaboration and productive stack services (SharePoint online, MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, MS Forms, Power Automate, Delve, PowerApps).
- Ability to develop site Information architecture plan and administer governance plan for SharePoint Online sites establishes protocols to monitor third party applications running on SharePoint Online.
Change Management – Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Leadership – Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.