The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $4.3 billion, with 7,000 employees all serving over a million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the City Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
We promote work-life integration with a focus on growth to bring out the best in our team members. Come join us in making San Jose the most vibrant, equitable, sustainable, and innovative city in America!
The City of San José is recruiting for a PeopleSoft Technical Lead (Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department. As a technical lead, this position will be responsible for overseeing and managing technical support and application development for the Oracle PeopleSoft Human Capital Management (HCM) 9.2 Payroll, Time and Labor (T&L), Benefits, and Absence Management modules.
This position requires strong technical hands-on experience and leadership skills as well as the ability to take initiative and lead others. We are seeking an individual with a willingness to adapt to an ever-changing environment.
Skills and responsibilities
The ideal candidate should have experience supporting enterprise-level production time and labor, benefits, and payroll modules including both solid functional and in-depth technical knowledge of the benefits, time and labor, and payroll processes. This position demands a proven ability to resolve complex technical issues in a timely manner. Also, teamwork and a positive attitude are essential to succeed in this position.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Provides technical leadership for the City’s Oracle PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 application, specifically with the Payroll for North America, Time and Labor, and Absence Management, and Benefits modules.
- Communicates with stakeholders to gather functional requirements and produces technical specifications and documentation.
- Develops, supports, modifies, and tests customized programs related to City’s payroll, T&L, benefits, and absence management requirements.
- Performs hands-on system configuration and advanced troubleshooting for supported PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 modules.
- Leads upgrade and enhancement projects related to Peoplesoft Update Manager (PUM) applications and custom programs.
- Learns existing City business practices and their related customizations.
- Develops technical guidelines and governance framework to ensure best practices are followed.
- Provides technical leadership and mentoring for functional analysts.
$113,464.00-$138,236.00yearly, The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst (ESTA) classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
- Deadline: n/a
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
- Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
- Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
- Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices including Enterprise Architecture, technical project management, application lifecycle management, and applicable industry applications/systems platform tools; and, breadth of expertise to manage major technology services, programs, and products across multiple departmental technology environments and ensure cross coordination between departments, including adherence with Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following knowledge and experience:
- Current technical hands-on experience in designing, configuring, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting in PeopleSoft tools such as:
- Application Designer;
- Application Engine;
- Integration Broker;
- BI Publisher;
- Component Interface;
- Excel to Component Interface (CI); and/or,
- Query Manager.
- Experience with the following PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 Modules:
- General Time and Labor setup;
- Time and Labor rules;
- Time Administration;
- General Payroll setup;
- Load time and labor;
- Payroll COBOL processes such as pay calculation and pay confirmation;
- Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) Overtime;
- Labor distribution;
- Payroll interfaces;
- Absence Management; and/or,
- Year-end and W-2 processing
- Experience with Benefits, Benefits Administration, and health provider interfaces.
- Experience creating and updating technical documents.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.