JustFix.nyc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our mission is to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all — and we think the power of data and technology should be accessible to those fighting this fight. Our vision is to provide tools that make it easier for tenants to know and exercise their rights. By combining highly scalable web-based, mobile-friendly, and SMS tools with advanced housing data analysis, we have a mission to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all. We are driven by the belief that all NYC residents deserve a dignified tenancy, with access to legal representation, social services, and opportunities to organize while navigating the complex and currently inequitable world of housing.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with a network of over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
JustFix.nyc is seeking a full-time full stack developer with 4+ years of relevant experience to join our mission to co-design and build data-driven tools for tenants, housing organizers, and legal advocates fighting displacement.
Reporting directly to the Director of Product, they will be joining JustFix.nyc’s growing engineering team at a critical time as we scale our services and begin to integrate our products together to streamline collective action within the tenant movement. This is a chance to build within multi-channel communications (e.g. Web, SMS, and Email) for a wide spectrum of technical literacy, which presents a variety of exciting and unique engineering challenges.
The ideal candidate is an emotionally intelligent and humble developer who knows how to build and share ownership of projects that show great commitment to positive user experience. They will be joining a team engaging with tenant leaders, fellow housing justice nonprofit staff, city and state elected officials’ offices, other strategic partners, and technologists following a community-led equity-driven model.
This is not a traditional tech environment— which is precisely why we love what we do. As a non-profit, we aren’t driven by monetization. We respect user privacy and don't share their data; we are driven by true impact within our communities and our dream of upending systemic inequalities. As a small and agile team, we have the freedom to redefine traditional tech practices and are continuously pushing our co-design framework, product development strategies, and usability research methods to be better. If you are fed up with mainstream tech culture and want to co-create new spaces for our work to thrive in, our organization is for you.
JustFix.nyc’s team is largely based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office in New York City.
In your application, please share samples of your work, focusing on projects that showcase:
- Your experience with complex workflows
- Your process for problem-solving (rather than just polished work)
- Your communication skills
Skills and responsibilities
Product Development and Maintenance (60%)
- Develop front and back end website architecture
- Collaborate with Senior UX/UI Designers in designing accessible user interactions on web products
- Participate in creation of new products and prototypes from scratch
- Contribute to continuous improvements of existing product suite
- Conduct code review
- Ensure web products are responsive and optimized for a variety of devices such as low-end mobile phones, desktop
- See through a project from conception to finished product
- Proactively identify and fix infrastructure issues to improve backend service scalability, resiliency, and fault tolerance
- Respond to urgent bugs in a timely manner alongside engineers
Strategy Collaboration (25%)
- Collaborate with our Director of Product, designers, engineers, program staff, and external partners to contribute to a product strategy that helps us achieve our goals
- Take ownership of features on a product level and on a technical level
- Stay abreast of best practices in web applications and programming languages
Internal Responsibilities (15%)
- Team meetings
- Manager and peer check-ins
- Anti-racism initiatives and curriculum
- Org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
New York,NYWe are currently working remotely because of COVID-19, however when it's safe, we have full intention to working from a NYC office.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Deadline: n/a
- 4+ years of front-end / full-stack development experience. Ideally, someone who has deep experience in inventing, building, shipping, and maintaining complex codebases
- Strong expertise with HTML5 and CSS3/Flexbox/Sass
- Familiarity with modern web stacks and Python frameworks
- Experience with front end build systems like Webpack
- Be a fast and agile learner while willing to contribute by teaching what they know
- Deep commitment to users’ needs
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with aptness in giving and receiving feedback
- Collaborative mindset with and ability to work as part of a team and manages expectations, both as a leader and in a supporting capacity
- Attention to detail when it comes to user interaction and accessibility
- Willingness to adapt to different working styles depending on context (pair programming/solo development)
- Attention to detail while also knowing when to remain flexible in relation to stakeholder needs
- Local to NYC -- (our team is currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office in NYC)
Nice to have:
- A connection to the people we support and our tools
- Previously worked with designers and collaborated on UX for front end (accessibility, performance, etc); QA and testing
- Has curiosity and interest in stepping into other roles (dev ops, data science, sysadmin) as the situation dictates
- Experience with Django
- Passion for open source! Check out our github.
- Experience in ReactJS
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)