The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $4.3 billion, with 7,000 employees all serving over a million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the City Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
We promote work-life integration with a focus on growth to bring out the best in our team members. Come join us in making San Jose the most vibrant, equitable, sustainable, and innovative city in America!
The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive every day. Do you have the skills and sense of service it takes? If yes, read on…
This is an exciting opportunity for individuals with a passion for Voice over IP (VoIP) and networking. We currently have a vacancy in the Infrastructure Division, supporting multi-vendor VoIP services, contact center solution and enterprise network.
Skills and responsibilities
The ideal candidate will act as the subject matter expert to support and maintain the City's VoIP services including end user phone features, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) connectivity, auto attendants and contact center infrastructure. The ideal candidate will also help build and maintain our enterprise network by conducting network design, configuration, and implementation as well as reporting on all aspects of network performance metrics and ensuring compliance with the information security policy based on the City's security governance model.
In addition to normal business work week, this position also requires rotation-based, on-call after-hours support. The position also requires the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 60 pounds, or heavier weights, in all cases with the use of proper equipment. Under the California Government Code, all employees (who are not already in public safety fields like police or fire) are obligated to serve as Disaster Service Workers.
$97,364.00-$125,673.00yearly, The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Enterprise Information Technology Engineer (EITE) I/II classifications shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
- Deadline: n/a
- EITE I: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS or a closely related field.
- EITE II: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS or a closely related field.
- EITE I: three (3) years of increasingly progressive experience equivalent to performing technical work of complex difficulty to provide desktop, data security, application and system administration, and server or network administration or software applications to support end users, electronic business systems/solutions, and software applications for high availability and uptime.
- EITE II: four (4) years of increasingly progressive experience equivalent to performing technical work of complex difficulty to provide desktop, data security, application and system administration, and server or network administration or software applications to support end users, electronic business systems/solutions, and software applications for high availability and uptime.
Acceptable Substitutions: Two (2) years of related experience may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the education requirement.
License or Certificates:
- EITE I: Possession of an industry certification that demonstrates expertise in information technology field, such as a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) certificate for Windows Server Enterprise, Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Network Associate (CCNA) certification, OR an equivalent professional, industry recognized certification acceptable to the City.
- EITE II: Possession and maintenance of a current (non-expired) industry certification that demonstrates expertise in the relevant information technology field, such as a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) certificate for Windows Server Enterprise, Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Network Associate (CCNA) certification, OR an equivalent professional, industry recognized certification acceptable to the City.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise –
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with engineering, implementing, supporting, and troubleshooting:
- Multi-vendor VoIP services including end-user features, SIP infrastructure, Direct Inward Dialing (DID) number provisioning, auto attendants (call trees) and contact center services and infrastructure
- Enterprise networks including layer 2 switching, advanced layer 3 routing (such as BGP and OSPF), network design and optimization, wifi and wireless broadband, Quality of Service (QOS) experience and access layer security protocols
- Competencies that are highly desirable include:
- Contact center application design and programming such as Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) and Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
- Application load-balancing experience
- Network security controls such as EAP and Radius
- Software-Defined Networking (SDN) configuration and management.
- VMware NSX
- Enterprise cloud platform configuration and management
- IoT exposure
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.