Why should you come to work for the Department of Labor & Industry?
It’s about the people, the work we do and our mission to protect the well-being of Montana’s workers, employers and citizens and to uphold their rights and responsibilities. It’s about the impact we make in our communities every day. We are proud of our open, team-based, supportive and collaborative work environments. Learn more about DLI here.
As a Data Architect you will be responsible for defining vision, strategy, and principles for data management; defining standards for naming, describing, governing, managing, modeling, cleansing, enriching, transforming, moving, storing, searching and delivering all data within the Technology Services Division. You will be a leader on the DLI data management team and collaborate with various data teams across the agency. You will also be the liaison between the business process/data owners and the data solution development, integration and governance standards.
Additionally, you will:
- Provide governance, ownership of and champion the DLI Data Warehouse.
- Assist with the development of database solutions to store and retrieve information.
- Communicate technical and non-technical information in a professional and courteous manner, tailoring to managers of all levels, business analysts and developers so that information is clear.
- Contribute to the process of writing project documentation and support the team in identifying solutions to issues that arise.
- Prepare architecture reports, monitor systems, and supervise system migrations for the quality of data.
- Design, configure and implement effective solutions and models to store and retrieve department data.
- Educate staff members through training and individual support; coordinate with data analysts across divisions to identify data needs, expectations, standards and security.
Skills and responsibilities
- State policies and laws regarding computer systems, hardware and software acquisition and use.
- Data management techniques, theory, and practices.
- Database structure systems and data mining and segmentation techniques.
- Agile development concepts and have experience working in a Scaled Agile shop.
- Gathering and analyzing system requirements.
- Interpersonal relationships and leadership techniques.
- The use of a wide variety of information services, equipment and software.
- Excellent organizational and analytical abilities.
- Prioritize effectively and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Present technical material in a user-friendly language.
- Work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Solve problems, counsel subordinates, communicate effectively, manage a bureau and coordinate with department.
- Familiar with programming languages, like Java, J2EE, C+, .Net, Oracle Forms\Reports, Basic.
- Technically competent with issue management systems like JIRA, Quality Center, etc. Database and operating systems experience, like Oracle & Microsoft SQL, Microsoft and Linux Operating Systems.
- Technically competent with various software programs, like Microsoft Office, Project, Visio data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, D3.js and R)
What makes you the right person for this opportunity?
Your preparation for this opportunity may include the following:
- Education and experience may include coursework in a field such as computers, and information technology and/or, work experience that involved software development, database management and web platform development;
- Five years of directly related qualifying experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered on a case-by-case basis.