As part of GSA’s Technology Transformation Services, the CoE initiative accelerates IT modernization at federal agencies by leveraging private sector innovation and government services while centralizing best practices and expertise for holistic transformation.
The Centers of Excellence work with partner agencies to accelerate IT modernization by leveraging private sector innovation and government services. We work primarily in six areas: Infrastructure Optimization, Cloud Adoption, Data & Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Contact Centers, and Customer Experience. Our complementary work in strategic communications, change management, and performance management ensures these innovations can be successful and sustainable. We also work with partner agencies to enhance their ability to innovate so they can continuously modernize as opportunities and challenges emerge over time.
The Innovation Adoption Lead is a multi-faceted role, which means your work will involve delivering outputs for several audiences. This includes:
- managing innovation adoption work for partner agency customers, including some acquisition work and managing contract resources;
- creating and managing internal protocols and internal initiatives for the Centers of Excellence organization; and
- developing and promoting Centers of Excellence practices as part of the organization’s body of knowledge and its broader method set for innovation adoption.
The selected candidate will serve on the cross-functional Strategic Management Team, engaging with peers on all four strategic management agendas:
- Change Management, from the tradition to the alternative, to help us ensure that our IT modernization projects are successful and sustainable
- Development, from workforce development to skills development, to help ensure that people modernize their work and capabilities while systems and tools get their own makeover
- Internal Communications, from communications strategy to channels to messaging, to help us ensure that people receive the information and inspiration they need and have the opportunity to contribute their own insights and experiences
- Performance Management & Improvement, from the organization to teams to individuals, to help us ensure that we set clear, shared goals and can demonstrate progress and results through data and evidence
Skills and responsibilities
Objective #1: Provide exceptional customer experience and quality products and services with all partners, providing a unique, tailored experience that delivers meaningful results.
Your primary role will be to lead innovation adoption workstreams on CoE engagements with partner agencies. The purpose is to deliver measurable value to the partner agency through both your own contributions and those of the contract teams you manage.
- Customer Experience
- Negotiate expectations, including roles, goals, objectives, frequency and formats for sharing progress and results, scope, level of detail, measures, and other elements of managing the engagement
- Explain products or services to people who have varying levels of technical knowledge, meeting the agency partner where they are
- Empathetically guide our agency partners through administrative, performance management and improvement, change, and other processes
- Serve as a liaison between the stakeholders and the project teams, delivering feedback to the team, enabling them to make necessary changes to product performance or presentation
- Support a safe, inclusive workplace and a positive team culture where all team members value diversity and individual differences
- Products and Services
- Facilitate acquisition contract services for change management innovation adoption, and performance management and improvement, on behalf of CoE or agency partners; activities may include including drafting contracting documents such as RFIs, and evaluating vendor proposals
- Manage contract teams in the delivery of products and services
- Oversee and direct multiple complex, fast-paced projects, balancing priorities, the needs of others, urgency, and other factors
- Ensure the delivery of useful modernization deliverables and services that best meets the agency partner’s needs, priorities, and readiness for adoption
- Share and demonstrate in the course of delivery modern practices —such as agile, growth mindset, and effective feedback — throughout all stages of the project lifecycle
Objective #2: Promote the adoption of modern technology practices through learning, coaching, and knowledge sharing.
CoE continuously evolves its approaches based on industry best practice and our own experiences with and knowledge of agencies. You will continuously refine our methods and materials. You will also promote the adoption of best practices in innovation adoption through a variety of channels.
- Deliver services to accelerate learning and adoption of agile principles and practices
- Create compelling stories or case studies on how users are benefiting from the program, providing a special focus on lessons learned and overcoming obstacles
- Craft and share information about models and methods that promote best practices in government and industry
- Participate in information sessions and business development meetings
- Help manage and grow innovation adoption networks, within agencies and across government, including sporting a governmentwide community of practice
- Provide advice or coaching to agency change agents, managers, leaders, and champions on how to manage or lead modernization efforts
Objective #3: Assist the CoE with its own strategy, internal management, and relationships.
At the CoE, we strive to model the behaviors we want to see. That’s why you will help to apply the approaches and methodologies we use with other agencies to continuously improve and modernize our own organization, management, and operations.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team, occasionally leading cross-functional, collaborative projects
- Provide advice and assistance to CoE and TTS leadership, management, and colleagues
- Maintain strong relationships within and outside GSA, particularly in the areas of organizational performance, impact evaluation, behavioral science, organizational development, learning & development, and customer experience
- Monitor CoE performance and assist with continuous improvement
$121,316.00-$157,709.00yearly, The salary range for this position is: GS-14 Step 1 - $121,316 to GS-14 Step 10 $157,709
- Key Requirements
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands)
- Suitable for federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
- You may be required to serve a trial period.
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required.
- Register with Selective Service, if you are a male born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience leading Innovation Adoption efforts within large or complex environments. This experience must include THREE of the following:
- Experience applying change management practices and principles to change, improvement, or innovation projects.
- Experience in workforce development practices (e.g. capability assessment, workforce projections, coaching skills for managers, reskilling, micro-learning, or experiential learning).
- Experience applying customer experience or behavior-based principles and practices to identify and design solutions (e.g. Human-Centered Design methodology, journey mapping, user-centered design, behavioral economics, nudge, or behavior modification).
- Experience facilitating team or group coaching or delivering training or workshop experiences.
- Experience leading Organizational Performance Management & Improvement efforts within large or complex environments. This experience must include TWO of the following:
- Experience in designing measurement models and metrics for quantifying organizational or program performance improvement, efficiency, and outcomes.
- Experience designing or implementing performance management protocols or improvement plans.
- Experience helping organizations or teams apply process improvement methods (e.g. process mapping or flow-charts, 5S, Lean Six Sigma, Lean Management, Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen, Kanban, Value Stream Mapping, or Agile Management).
- Experience leading or producing assessment or evaluation work (e.g. impact evaluation, program evaluation, gap analysis, readiness assessment, capability assessment, cause-effect analysis, root cause analysis, cost-benefit analysis, or return on investment).
- Experience working with teams, leaders, and partners on high-profile projects . This experience must include FOUR of the following:
- Experience building relationships with partners, customers, or stakeholders.
- Experience leading groups with shared interests (e.g. working groups, communities of practice, groups within professional associations, or affinity groups).
- Experience managing contract teams and working with contracting documents (e.g. RFIs, vendor proposals).
- Experience leading cross-functional teams (i.e. developers, product managers, designers, clients) collaboratively toward shared objectives.
- Experience managing complex and fast-paced projects.
- Experience working with or on behalf of executives (e.g. briefing, supporting decision-making, making evidence-based recommendations, or managing conflict).
You will be scored based on a review of your application materials, measuring your possession of each of the following competencies
- Innovation Adoption Expertise: Ability to apply innovative contact center tools and technologies and to help guide agency partners in making strategic & tactical innovative decisions.
- Leadership: Ability to effectively inspire and lead cross-functional teams to meet the project vision and shared objectives of agency partner organizations, while simultaneously providing support and guidance to all members of the partner agency.
- Agile Orientation: Ability to apply agile and open source philosophies to deliver work in a frequent and iterative fashion to address user needs.
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, particularly in consulting scenarios, to establish a shared vision and understanding of a project’s technical implementation, objectives and goals.
- TTS Core Values Alignment: Ability to work with integrity, transparency and resiliency in civic minded or high impact environment.