Bowers Consulting Firm is a fully-integrated strategic advisory, data, communications and political consulting firm. Our mission is to support progressive causes and campaigns that are tackling some of the biggest political challenges––domestic and international––facing society today. We have played lead roles in national campaigns to reform education for low-income and working class Black families; statewide legislative campaigns such as California's 2016 referendum to legalize marijuana; and local campaigns such as Measure R in Los Angeles, where we took on the world’s largest jail system and most corrupt sheriff’s department and won. Since our inception five years ago we have managed 10+ electoral campaigns, consulted for 20+ organizations, and led 5+ issue-based advocacy campaigns.
Bowers Consulting Firm approaches each campaign with one key principle: that the phrase “it's always been done this way” is a detrimental saying and one of the greatest obstacles to creating real change. We place a premium on building innovative strategies that best serve our clients––and we are always on the right side of history.
This position is a full-time, senior level job. You will report to the Founder and President. You will be expected to work in a fast-paced working environment where it is normal to be accessible “around the clock.”
As the Director of Black Power, you will be responsible for managing all clients and campaigns under our Black Lives Matter portfolio. This involves leading a holistic strategy––from field/data and targeting to digital to communications and fundraising efforts. You will lead day-to-day operations, be the external spokesperson for our firm around our Black Lives Matter portfolio and positions, and be the point person for all client needs. You will provide high-impact expertise and advance the development of our clients’ campaigns, all with the explicit purpose, mission and vision of liberating Black people.
Skills and responsibilities
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to
- Strategizing, managing and supervising all clients/campaigns related to Black freedom
- Providing thought leadership to support the expansion of our Black Power department
- Planning and overseeing implementation of client-facing programs
- Serving as the primary point of contact internally and externally for key vendors, contractors and stakeholders
- Developing actionable reports, memos, and other deliverables as required by clients
- Creating organizational, strategic, financial, and communications plans
- Scoping client projects
- Managing and supervising a small staff
- This job is remote friendly.
- Salary: , Base salary starting at $100,000/year, commensurate with experience
- Seven (7) or more years of political, strategy, policy/legislative, public interest and/or management consulting experience required
- Extensive experience working with Black organizations and leaders required
- Dedication to the freedom and advancement of Black people required
- Experience with quantitative materials (data, statistics, mathematical models) preferred
- Curious and willing to research and constantly learn
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Expert at utilizing targeted campaign tactics and integrated communication strategies
- Extensive experience drafting crisis and/or rapid-response communications
- Previous experience working with and managing a portfolio of consultants and vendors
- Proven ability to manage and stay within existing budgets
- Strong ties to progressive institutions
- Willing and able to travel, COVID-19 permitting
- Has fun WHILE doing the work!