The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the City, by building services designed around the people that use them. Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team comprises product managers, designers, developers, and content strategists. As a member of this team, you would be part of a new and growing movement, with an opportunity to shape the City’s approach to technology.
As a Principal Product Manager, you will be the group product manager for all digital permitting products. Working with a multidisciplinary team of designers, developers and other PMs, you will be responsible for creating, maintaining and improving digital permits that make it easier for San Franciscans to do business or improve their quality of life.
You will work with the Product Director and Chief Digital Services Officer to establish priorities and initiatives across the entire lifecycle of products, with a focus on unifying all work across digital permitting. You will get into the details, but be able to switch into high-level views to ensure the overall vision stays true, aligning resources where required. You will engage with stakeholders to create a roadmap for business and personal permits in San Francisco, while aligning resources to continuously refine our permitting process. You will be a champion of user research and a data-driven approach across the team, balancing competing priorities and initiatives for the best outcome for users.
Skills and responsibilities
Desired skills and characteristics
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in product roles focused on creating or maintaining outstanding web-based products for a consumer-oriented website. Experience iterating on complex products, services, or transactions to be more simple, beautiful, and easy to use.
- Product team experience including: Experience translating vision into product, leading user research and user testing process; creating minimum viable products, writing user stories; managing roadmaps, leading agile scrum methodology, and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Strong understanding of modern web product development.
- Strong working knowledge of Lean and Agile practices. Experience working within Agile teams and incorporating user testing & feedback into agile processes.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally. Experience navigating complex organizations will be a bonus.
- A personal interest in public service or civic technology.
- Experience with creating user journey maps and/or service blueprints.
- Demonstrable and practical experience, in public or private sector, of transformational change to business processes and systems to deliver improved user experience and cost savings.
- Design experience, including the ability to create sketches, wireframes and mockups to communicate features to clients, designers and developers.
- Development experience, including the knowledge to interface with developers about coding practices, delivery and acceptance processes, testing, etc.
- Experience with metrics and analytics that inform the success of products, defining KPI's, tracking conversion funnels, and extracting insight from data.
- Experience with designing and implementing user research that inform decision-making of products or services.
- Good to have: demonstrable experience in incorporating accessibility and inclusivity mindset into product features and strategy
- Work with the Chief Digital Services Officer, Product Director, Permit Center Manager, Service Designer, and other stakeholders, to own and implement a compelling vision for digital permitting
- Coordinate product teams and ensure they are working in harmony toward your vision
- Be creative and resourceful and use your expertise to solve complex problems that span multiple departments and types of user.
- Manage complex stakeholder relationships and implementations across multiple departments
- Coach and lead other PMs in best practice, particularly Agile and product management.
- Coordinate a multi-disciplinary agile software development team to deliver complex products
- Research and evaluate new technologies, software and hardware products; consult with vendors about product functions & features; recommend software & hardware purchases.
- Oversee roadmap planning, resource management, procurement, and vendor management.
- Flag potential risks early and work with the team and stakeholders to mitigate risks
- Prepare product budgetary cost estimates; develop implementation proposals, documentation and roadmaps; write technical specifications and request for proposals.
- Participate in planning and conducting thoughtful and ethical user research. Effectively capture and use insights from user research to propose improvements to policy, service design, and delivery.
- Define and get stakeholder buy-in for product definition and delivery approach. Gather and use evidence to assess the costs, benefits and risks of a wide range of delivery options. Implement a product vision developed in collaboration with department leadership.
- Create effective, prioritized product descriptions, user stories, and delivery plans to meet user needs in a cost-effective way. In some cases, serve as scrum master or delivery manager.
- Multi-channel delivery: Work with the designer and department partners on the strategy for paper and analog channels to complement digital service delivery.
- Work comfortably in an agile environment with rapidly changing deadlines, workloads, and goals.
- Lead data-based continuous delivery and improvement, ensuring that services are regularly analyzed, maintained and improved to better user experience. Design service processes to include continuous feedback loops between customers and the service team.
- Provide counseling and mediation; persuade, convince and train others, including the ability to act in a lead worker capacity.
- Recommend a variety of personnel actions in such areas as performance evaluation, training, selection and disciplinary measures.
- Related duties as assigned.
San Francisco,ALSF Digital Services is working remotely through July 2021
- This job is remote friendly.
- Deadline: n/a
Associates Degree in any discipline and five years of experience in product management or related discipline. Additional experience can be substituted for a degree on a year-for-year basis.