The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a compelling mission: we are working to help make the federal government a more dynamic, innovative and effective servant of the American people, and we have a great team that helps make it happen. Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
The Senior Manager for Federal Technology Strategy and Programs is a new position that will oversee the strategic direction, planning and execution of our growing technology-focused portfolio. The position reports to the Vice President of Government Effectiveness
We seek an experienced and entrepreneurial candidate who has strong management skills, a deep understanding of technology issues in the federal government, and a desire to shape the direction of programming in a dynamic, growing organization. This role will be part of the Partnership’s Government Effectiveness team, which is responsible for a wide range of initiatives that help improve management and organizational performance through enhancing agency use of innovation, technology and data.
Skills and responsibilities
- Develop and execute our federal technology transformation strategy to identify and address federal issues that require technology with the goal of improving management and agency performance.
- Work effectively across Partnership teams and serving as a key advisor to shape organizational direction and decision-making.
- Oversee all aspects of our federal technology transformation portfolio, including supervising staff to ensure effective implementation of initiatives, shaping project concepts and scope, developing and executing budgets, and tracking and measuring progress toward stated goals.
- Conceive, design and implement new programming to address critical federal technology issues, including transformation of legacy systems, acquisition and adoption of emerging technologies, and talent recruitment and hiring.
- Manage all components of project design and execution, such as event planning, product development and review, customer communications, and senior leadership briefings.
- Advance the Partnership’s mission, profile and brand by building and managing strong relationships with federal agency stakeholders and corporate partners, providing thought leadership on emerging topics, identifying potential areas of organizational growth, cultivating new audiences, and developing prospective initiatives.
- Identify and secure partners and funders for future work, drafting grant and corporate proposals to gain additional financial support and writing periodic reports to document accomplishments, progress and emerging opportunities.
- Serve as a role model and leader within the Partnership, supporting all aspects of programs/projects to address management and operational challenges confronting the federal government.
- Deadline: n/a
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent professional work or military experience.
- A minimum eight to 10 years of relevant work experience, particularly related to government and/or the technology industry.
- Strong experience with program budgeting and strategic planning.
- Strong relationship management skills, leading to collaborative internal and external partnerships.
- Prior professional experience working with the federal government strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of federal technology issues and needs strongly preferred.
- Awareness of and experience with federal technology issues and challenges.
- A deep understanding of modern technology, ideally with experience effectively delivering services (a.k.a. shipping product).
- Extensive knowledge of the latest technology trends, best practices, and capabilities in industry, academia, and government (e.g., agile methodologies, artificial intelligence, cloud migration, data analytics, digitally empowered workforces, multichannel citizen engagement, shared services, etc.).
- Understanding of the complex interplay between federal legislation, acquisition and technology modernization (e.g., the Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act).
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, with proven management and leadership capabilities and a high degree of initiative and willingness to navigate new situations.
- Highly collaborative, with exceptional ability to coordinate across internal teams, external partners and other stakeholder groups.
- Excellent program and project management skills, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Consistent, sound judgment and decision-making skills; ability to identify potential problems, analyze issues and provide proactive solutions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and to organize multiple and varied projects simultaneously.
- Passion for teamwork, problem solving and excellent customer service delivery.
- Experience in engaging with executive or senior level officials.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills.
- Passion for the mission of the Partnership for Public Service and our nonpartisan values.