Outvote, backed by YCombinator and Higher Ground Labs, was founded in 2018 with the mission to empower grassroots campaigning through scalable technology, and community organizing. Research shows friends who receive a message through Outvote are 10% more likely to show up and vote. From local elections to international non-profit organizations, our mission is to take the same suite of tools used by presidential campaigns and provide it to campaigns of every size. Outvote allows volunteers to mobilize their communities around current events, elections, and other critical moments in policy formation in a way that’s connected to the organizing infrastructure that has been doing this great work for decades.
In the 2018 midterms, Outvote helped mobilize the largest voter turnout in over 100 years. Users on Outvote contacted over 1 million voters. Columbia University’s Data Institute recently estimated that Outvote’s cost per vote was $2 in 2018, significantly lower than other political outreach methods. Outvote has been covered by The New York Times, Washington Post, TechCrunch, and Fast Company–among others.
In 2020, Outvote is working with Planned Parenthood nationwide and its 100+ affiliates, all 50+ DCCC congressional campaigns, SEIU, Michelle Obama’s When We All Vote, and more.
Outvote’s Lead Engineer will be responsible for owning and maintaining the entire Outvote technical stack. They will write code and contribute to the development process, collaborating with the CTO, team members, and contractors on everything from requirements and design to implementation and quality assurance.
Skills and responsibilities
- Build technical specifications. Outline the implementation details for features on the product roadmap, including feature requirements, UI/UX, analytics, and security requirements.
- Implement new features. Oversee implementation for features. Manage the process from Github issues to staging, QA, and ultimately production deployment.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting. Innovate solutions for client tickets and assist in the bug fixing process.
- Performance optimization. Building a robust platform capable of handling millions of users and powering hundreds of millions of messages.
$140,000.00-$150,000.00yearly, Plus equity of 0.25–0.5%
- At least three years of experience working in a consumer-facing production environment with significant Ruby on Rails experience.
- Experience working in Ruby on Rails + Sidekiq + RSpec, Postgres, React, and React Native.
- Optional experience working with Expo, Elasticsearch, Redis, Heroku, New Relic, Datadog, Scout, Github, Travis CI, and Airbrake.
- Excited by the daily rigor and short-term demands of a start-up and able to tie those to long-term strategic initiatives.
- Passionate about politics, progressive issue-based advocacy, and civic engagement.
We don’t expect each candidate to have expertise in every single one of these areas — we’re looking for candidates who are strong in a couple of areas, and are passionate about learning and growing in others.
We eagerly accept applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Outvote is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our employees’ differences, and know that differences — of all kinds — make us infinitely stronger.