Civilla is committed to dramatically improving how low-income Americans access the social safety net.
Building on years of deep user research and a successful pilot, we’ve launched a service to help distribute millions of dollars in critical benefits to Michigan households affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Not only will this service help keep food in the fridge, people in their homes, and prevent power shut offs – but it will set a new standard for simple and intuitive access to social services.
Our small team recently completed a pilot that engaged households across the state in an enrollment process that commonly takes 40 days to complete. Using the service, the enrollment process was completed in minutes. This speed of delivery was the result of a new policy framework, collaborative decision-making between partners, and software that coordinated data between several organizations. We heard sentiments from applicants like, “I’m so thankful I used this service today. This is such a blessing.” and “I can’t even begin to figure out how to express my gratitude. This has changed my life.”
The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the need to scale the service due to the recent surge in demand for assistance that can be administered quickly and remotely. Our team is rapidly expanding the pilot software to serve those impacted by the pandemic. We’re working with executive leaders inside state government and social service agencies that are prepared to scale operations as soon as possible.
This is a remote, contract position with the potential to transition a permanent role in late 2020.
As the tech lead, you’ll work closely with a small, dedicated team to scale the pilot software and establish the foundation for a long-term team. Although this is a contract position, we plan to invest in building a healthy, collaborative culture and you will be instrumental in that effort.
Our pilot software is written in Rails but our product’s software won’t necessarily be. We’re looking for someone who is eager to help make foundational choices about our stack and is excited by new and unfamiliar technologies. We intend to replace our pilot technology with something production-focused and collectively designed.
Our team has deep roots in human-centered design, and user-driven inputs guide a considerable amount of our decision making. This role will involve translating user insights and working with other engineers to establish and meet product development goals.
- Work with fellow engineers to build and maintain a scalable and reliable service that gracefully integrates with our partner’s back-end systems and processes.
- Provide technical perspective and expertise in meetings with our partners, organizational stakeholders, and other key audiences.
- Ensure ongoing partner success from a technical perspective – understanding technical needs and seamlessly integrating with their existing infrastructure.
- Provide hands-on assistance and recommendations for addressing and systematizing solutions for efficient case processing.
- Synthesize feedback and communicate field issues to the engineering team.
- Build deep relationships on the team and set a foundation for a healthy and collaborative culture.
Skills and responsibilities
- Experienced: At least 7 years in software engineering, including a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role.
- Mission-aligned: Passionate about streamlining access to public benefit programs for the people who need them most.
- Professional leader: Reliable, mature, and a strong communicator.
- Adaptive: Able to navigate relationships and technical challenges, unblock yourself and your team, and meet the evolving needs of a project operating in a fluid environment.
- Strategic: Able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact.
- Team player: Low-drama, high functioning, kind, and considerate.
- Process-oriented: Uses methods and processes to enable a productive and aligned software team.
- Wisdom: Provide a technical perspective to inform product, team, and organizational decisions.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Domain expert: Personal experience working within the social safety net or government-adjacent services.
- Compliance experience: Experience securing a production system that interacts with PII.
- Remote veteran: Experience working on and leading an all-remote digital team.