The Aspen Tech Policy Hub is a West Coast policy incubator, training a new generation of tech policy entrepreneurs. We take tech experts, teach them the policy process through an in-residence fellowship program in the Bay Area, and encourage them to develop outside-the-box solutions to societys problems. We model ourselves after tech incubators like Y Combinator, but train new policy thinkers and focus the impact of their ideas.
The selected candidate will join a dynamic, entrepreneurial, high-performing team within the larger environment of the Aspen Institute. This position is an opportunity to support cutting-edge policies, programs, research, and communications to support technologists as they learn to engage in the policy process.
The ideal candidate is a multi-talented, early-career professional with experience handling a wide range of logistics, operational, and research tasks; is creative and eager to learn on the job; and has extremely high standards for the quality of his/her work.The Program Coordinator is a critical position that will provide high-quality administrative, research, and outreach support to the team, as well as provide logistical support for the Aspen Tech Policy Hub and its policy programs and events.
The role is a good fit for candidates seeking experience in the wide range of skills and capabilities needed to manage and operate a quickly growing organization, as the Program Coordinator will work closely with the Hubs Director. This position provides a high level of administrative support and event planning. The position requires balancing multiple, often simultaneous, activities and the ability to prioritize work to ensure that tasks are completed on time. The position also requires a high level of professionalism, strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to support and work in a dynamic environment, and a high degree of personal ownership to ensure quality work products are delivered and support activities are performed.
Qualified candidates must demonstrate impeccable attention to detail, superior organizational skills, exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment. Experience with operational systems such as Salesforce, Excel, and Outlook is essential. Critical thinking skills are also essential, as is the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications and External Relations (30%)
- Serve as first point of contact for outside inquires. Handle written, telephone, and internet requests for information; draft, edit, and produce correspondence as required, including correspondence that is sometimes confidential;
- Prepare written correspondence on behalf of the Hub, including for its website, social media, and other external communications;
- Manage relationships with external contractors and vendors, ensuring they are paid on time; and
- Manage relationships with assigned stakeholders and/or policy partners.
Program Support (30%)
- Develop dynamic PowerPoint presentations upon request;
- Take meeting notes and prepare and disseminate follow-up materials;
- Support program staff in maintaining organized electronic and hard copy filing systems;
- Support program staff in maintaining a contacts database and quality control of data entered by other staff;
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures;
- Prepare and submit RFPs for invoices that have been reviewed by the program staff managing contracts and vendor relationships, and liaise with accounting department to ensure timely payments;
- Work with program and policy staff to support tracking of technical assistance efforts;
- Assist with data collection and synthesis for submission to Hub evaluator and for inclusion in grant reports; and
- Identify opportunities to improve the quality and efficiency of the program and implement improvements as directed.
Events Support (25%)
- Provide logistical support for briefings, forums, roundtables, and other convenings;
- Participate in various planning and budget processes as necessary; and
- Assist in scheduling complex meetings and events.
- Research and summarize briefing materials for meetings, conferences, and events; and
- Research and analyze issues of interest for reports, briefs, or other needs.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree required;
- Strong interest in and passion for technology in the interest of society;
- Excellent computer skills required, specifically, expertise with: Salesforce, Microsoft Outlook (including managing multiple, complex calendars), Microsoft Excel (including creation and maintenance of complex spreadsheets); and Microsoft PowerPoint (including development of dynamic PowerPoint presentations);
- Superior attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Experience establishing organizational systems to improve efficiency and functioning in a changing environment;
- Strong customer service orientation: patience, listening, resourcefulness, responsiveness, and attention to detail;
- Ability to work with diverse audiences and proven ability to effectively interface with senior-level executives;
- Experience meeting deadlines while balancing multiple projects, including calendar management, travel arrangements, and event planning coordination;
- Strong, demonstrable writing and editing skills;
- Creative problem-solving skills and professional and polished interpersonal skills;
- A desire to learn, sense of humor, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
Level of Authority:
- May assist with supervision of 1-2 interns