The Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave's (DFML) mission is to implement and run a program that provides income support to Massachusetts workers and their families during significant life events while serving as a partner to employers to deliver program integrity. DFML’s vision is to ensure a Massachusetts workforce that is healthier, more productive, and enjoys a better quality of life.
We will interact with people at big moments in their lives—the birth of a child, serious injuries, and potential losses of loved ones. These are stressful, hopeful, and overwhelming times and are experienced by everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, or socioeconomic status. We are here to help the working people of the Commonwealth to navigate these major life milestones by providing security and support when they need it most.
This will be a large and highly visible program. All Massachusetts employees and many Massachusetts independent contractors will be covered by the PFML law and eligible for benefits. There are approximately 3.7 million eligible workers in Massachusetts. DFML anticipates collecting approximately $1.4 billion in contributions annually and paying up to $1 billion in total benefits annually.
Come join the Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development (EOLWD) technology team to help build the Commonwealth’s newest—and first “digitally native”—constituent-facing service: Paid Family and Medical Leave.
The joint EOLWD/DFML technology team is responsible for the systems that the DFML will rely upon to process constituent claims, pay benefits, and administer the program in order to achieve this mission.
Are you a proven technical architect who wants to work on a meaningful public-service software project? Are you an engineer with experience working on large, complex systems? Read on, this role may be for you.
As a Technical Architect you will provide technical leadership, support, and direction to internal engineering teams and external vendors’ teams creating and maintaining the DFML’s systems.
You’ll focus on:
- Software engineering practice. You will define and implement software engineering processes and tooling that will empower technical staff and help make the project successful. You will define the Git workflow, coding standards, code review process, continuous integration / continuous deployment tooling, and anything else you believe will keep the technical teams working efficiently and delivering high-quality work.
- Project leadership. You will collaborate with engineers, the DFML Technical lead, and our vendors’ technical leads to define and estimate work, plan implementation efforts, and help define and iterate on the DFML’s technical roadmap.
- Technology organization alignment. You will collaborate with the Commonwealth’s executive technology leadership from EOLWD and the Executive Office of Technology Services and Security (EOTSS) to align the DFML’s technical direction with the Commonwealth’s standards. Our technical leaders will support you in solving problems that the Commonwealth has already tackled and look to you to advocate for the best technical solutions for DFML where those standards might not be a fit.
- Technical design and prototyping. Design and build prototype software that will help the various teams to test assumptions and envision the solution. You will deliver hands-on, business-oriented strategic and technical consulting to DFML for cloud infrastructure, automation solutions and solution architecture
Skills and responsibilities
You'll be a good fit for this role if you have experience:
- Working with large-scale web applications. The solutions you will oversee will be available to roughly 3.7 million eligible workers in Massachusetts, and process roughly 160,000 individual claims per year. Software projects at this scale present specific complexities and challenges, and we think you’ll be most successful if you have previously held a senior technical role on at least one large scale software project.
- Modern tools and programming languages. We would like you to have deep hands-on experience with a few of these things, familiarity with most, and willingness to be proactive and learn about these or any other technologies selected for DFML’s solution:
- Backend languages and frameworks: Node.js,Python, Java, PHP.
- OpenAPI, REST or GraphQL API frameworks in your preferred language(s).
- Relational database systems:Postgres, Oracle.
- WAF and CDN services (CloudFront,CloudFlare, Akamai).
- Version control systems and package managers: Git, Mercurial, npm, pip, composer.
- CI/CD tools for your preferred language(s)
- Automated testing frameworks for your preferred language(s)
- Knowledge or work experience in projects that used Infrastructure as code e.gTerraform
- You will join a project delivery team and focus on adding hands-on technical expertise, ensuring outcomes meet the highest technical and agile standards
- You will act as the SME on Public Cloud and related technologies for the project delivery team. Strong experience in a multi-disciplined team is critical as is your ability to clearly communicate complex technology solutions.
- You will be responsible for the production of high level and low level design documents and other technical project related artifacts.
- Ideally you will be an experienced cloud architect looking to take the step up to becoming a consultant. You love a challenge both technically and business focused and would love the opportunity to become a hands on technical consultant.
- Strong knowledge of the AWS Well Architected Framework(s).
- Experience of designing with appropriate AWS services like API Gateway/Lambda and Elastic Beanstalk
- Experience of Cognito/AD /SSO and other authentication mechanisms such as login.gov
- Design, build and implement enterprise-class security systems for a production environment
- Align standards, frameworks and security with overall business and technology strategy
- Contribute as needed to the daily 24/7 operations of the team; enforcing priorities, monitoring and analyzing operational effectiveness metrics and supporting teams in predictably and efficiently delivering on our commitments.
- Experience in evaluating existing data center, data warehouse and digital strategies
Boston,MAThe EOLWD / DFML technology team works in the Hurley Building at 19 Staniford Street, which is located in the center of downtown Boston. However, if you are unable to join us in Boston and you have an alternate arrangement in mind, please describe it in your application.
- Salary: , This is a contract role.
We’d also like, but don’t require, experience with the following:
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in IT software development and engineering including at least 2 years’ supporting cloud-based projects.
- Project teams that follow an implementation of Scrum, or a similar Agile framework.
- Writing and implementing security controls.
- Performance testing and tuning.
- An in depth understanding of Public/Private/Hybrid Cloud solutions and experienced in integrating public cloud into traditional hosting/delivery models with a specific focus on AWS
- Extensive experience in conducting Cloud Readiness Assessments observing business and technical perspectives
- AWS Solutions architect certification (at least an associate, but professional will be preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with government security regulations, standards, and processes including FISMA, FIPS, NIST, and FedRAMP is a plus