Headquartered in San Jose, California, Valley Water manages an integrated water resources system that includes the supply of clean, safe water, flood protection and stewardship of streams on behalf of Santa Clara County's 2 million residents. The district manages 10 dams and surface water reservoirs, three water treatment plants, an advanced recycled water purification center, a state-of-the-art water quality laboratory, nearly 400 acres of groundwater recharge ponds and more than 275 miles of streams.
We provide wholesale water and groundwater management services to local municipalities and private water retailers who deliver drinking water directly to homes and businesses in Santa Clara County.
Governed by a seven-member elected Board of Directors, Valley Water is a special district chartered by the State of California, with a current operating and capital budget of $523 million, and a staff of more than 850 full-time employees.
The Senior Information Systems Analyst will serve as the Technical Lead, and Subject Matter Expert providing technical expertise to the Management team and staff members on the design and implementation of Valley Water's (District) most complex and highly integrated systems involving new, unfamiliar, or emerging technologies. In this position, you will participate in and support the Information Technology (IT) Division's goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; modernize and consolidate internal custom applications or replace with commercial off-the-shelf products; streamline application workflows and integrate applications to minimize redundant data entry, locate information easily, and improve data transparency; optimize application systems and strengthen the partnership between IT and business units to improve IT project delivery, and manage vendors and bring in emerging technologies to increase the Districts efficiency and effectiveness.
This position will act as a business analyst, and document business requirements, use cases, and translate business requirements to technical requirements. You will recommend business solutions that delivers value to stakeholders, evaluate commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) solutions using the requirements as guidelines, and work with the business to create data catalogs for critical applications.
The Senior Information Systems Analyst will act as a project manager, and lead internal IT projects from beginning to end, and communicate up, down, and across the organization effectively, translate technical language to make it clear to non-technical people, and own the entire software development life cycle.
In this position, you must possess a deep understanding of Cloud Computing Technologies such as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) as well as the deployment strategies to help decide what set of services is right for the District's needs.
Skills and responsibilities
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Provide technical expertise to the team. Evaluate and select appropriate software and suggest integration methods. Recommend and develop solutions; conduct cost/benefit analysis; prepare justification for new or enhanced modifications; ensure that recommendations comply with District Standards and conventions. Address technical concerns, ideas, and suggestions. Work with vendors' technical support to resolve issues and perform root cause analysis.
· Perform system integration. Design and implement integrations for the District's internal and cloud applications using a variety of techniques – web services, API's (Application Programming Interfaces), etc.
· Create and maintain a data catalog for each critical application developed in-house with Oracle technology (APEX). Provide clear and concise technical documentation and internal operating procedures. Conduct user training programs on new or enhanced applications. Communicate complex technologies in a simple manner to all teams including non-technical.
· Able to write Request-For-Proposal (RFP) documents to solicit vendor proposals and use cases. Plan, implement, configure, integrate, and administrate large, complex Enterprise software like Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and/or Customer Relationship Management (CRM). Identify business needs and document solutions. Work with vendors and the business to align functional and technical design. Effectively work with vendors to demonstrate the solution or provide the proof-of-concept. Work as a liaison between different business units and IT. Manage external vendors, participate in the vendor product selection process, communicate with vendors about Service Level Agreements and licensing to ensure that contractual obligations are accurately tracked and met and that IT achieves the appropriate and contracted service from vendors.
· Migrate eligible on-premise applications developed in-house with Oracle technology (APEX) to the Cloud. Improve the security of the external facing applications and apply the best security practices to protect District data. Serve as a technical resource for maintaining, enhancing, consolidating, and improving the applications develop in-house with Oracle technology (APEX) to their maximum usage and benefits.
· Perform as a self-starter who thrives on learning new technical skills. Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of software development and implementation.
· Plan, schedule, assign, and oversee activities of assigned staff.
· Lead the development and implementation of third-party solutions and integrate with District applications, databases and technology platforms.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
· A minimum of six (6) years of increasingly responsible software applications programming and analysis experience.
· Previous Technical Lead and Project Management Experience.
· Experience with Programming Interface for Enterprise Systems.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
· Programming expertise with PL/SQL.
· Strong experience with Oracle APEX.
· Working knowledge of Drupal
· Experience in the implementation of Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and/or Customer Relationship Management (CRM).
· Proficient expertise to be able to analyze and assess the technological needs of District departments.
· The expertise to recommend appropriate technology to meet client needs.
· Make sound, independent decisions within established policy and procedural guidelines, and according to best engineering practices.
· Principles, practices, and responsibilities involved in leading the work of assigned staff.
· Methods and techniques of application development, design, and programming.
· Principles and procedures of quality assurance and security related to computer information systems.
· A variety of programming techniques including integrated database management applications.
· Operational characteristics and capabilities of data base management systems.
· Principles and practices of computer programming.
· Theories and applications of computer science.
· Principles and practices of computer science and information systems.
· Principles and practices of software troubleshooting.
· Operational characteristics of a variety of computer platforms and operating systems.
· Methods and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of information system applications.
· Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
· Best practices for office procedures, methods, and equipment.
· Principles and techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and District staff.
Ideal Training and Education:
· Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, information systems Management Information Systems, Mathematics, or applicable engineering degree.
· Master's degree in Computer Science is preferred.
· Business Analysis certification is preferred.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click here
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
The Santa Clara Valley Water District, now known as Valley Water, offers a comprehensive benefit package including, vacation, holidays, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, EAP, life and disability insurance. In addition, Valley Water participates in the California Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). To view a summary of benefits, click here
. The salary range for the Senior Information Analyst is $10,164.27 - $13,013.87
monthly depending on qualifications.
Please follow the link to the Valley Water Job Opportunities page HERE