GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving - and millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is spent on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark as Vanguard did for the financial industry (i.e., index fund), and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty.
GiveDirectly has raised over $250M in revenue and reached nearly 150,000 households, while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The New York Times Magazine writes, “The beautiful thing about GiveDirectly’s approach is that it lets people devise their own path out of poverty.” The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow GiveDirectly and the broader cash movement. Our culture is direct, analytical, non-hierarchical, fast-paced, transparent, and hard working. We are open to candidates from any industry and typically recruit from top organizations - members of our team have come to us from private-sector companies (consultancies, law firms, investment banks, etc.), start-ups, and government. We value ability and willingness to learn over years of experience. We offer competitive salary and benefits and performance-based bonuses.
We believe technology will play a critical role in enabling the next generation of cash delivery operations: from recipient identification that doesn't need boots on the ground to a reformulation of best in class fraud detection. We are seeking a dynamic data associate responsible for designing and implementing data systems across various domains of GiveDirectly. You will own organizational challenges at the goal level, work with cross-pillar partners to find the right technical solution, and project manage the release. You are a systems thinker who is comfortable assessing tradeoffs and enjoys learning about technology in a variety of business contexts. You naturally take ownership, can navigate unfamiliar settings, and enjoy both building and managing ops. You can excel at both 10,000 feet as well as in the weeds of complex problems.
Skills and responsibilities
- Design and implement data-centric special projects, examples include mapping potential risks in our payments processes, launching dashboards to track performance of field staff and revenue growth.
- Provide technology and data support for innovative field programs targeting new vulnerable populations (e.g. refugees, malnourished families etc.)
- Run, improve, and in some cases build the data platforms that we use for analytics, recipient management, revenue management etc.
- Manage and run a regular technology release cycle that keeps our technology stack responsive to field needs
- Run a monthly payment process that ensures our recipients are paid accurately and on time
- Deadline: n/a
We're open to looking at candidates with a range of skill-sets and background, e.g., (1) at least 2 years of professional experience in management consulting/ finance/ data analytics/ program management/ product management (2) minor in computer science/engineering OR professional experience with development [strongly typed languages a plus] and exposure to standard technical concepts including security design, build systems, and cloud services (3) expertise in data visualization (i.e. facilitating effective storytelling via data to a range of audiences). If you fall into any of these buckets and are interested in the role, we welcome your application. Regardless of professional background, we are looking for people with:
- Strong analytical skills--able to leverage tools to extract and analyze data to make operational decisions
- Significant interest in technology, systems design and building
- Experience in managing timelines, stakeholders, and end to end implementations
- Exceptional alignment with GD values (outlined below)