The NYC Mayor’s Public Engagement Unit (PEU) is leading the development and use of cutting- edge data and technology in government to increase civic engagement and proactively identify and connect New Yorkers to important City services. PEU exists at the intersection of policy, data, technology, outreach and communications. We work on the City’s most impactful progressive policies, including increasing awareness of and participation in elections and the 2020 Census, connecting uninsured New Yorkers to health insurance, protecting vulnerable tenants, and emergency response.
PEU is seeking a Product Manager to lead our EngageNYC application development team. At PEU, your work will directly affect the lives of thousands of New York's most vulnerable residents. You'll be tasked with leading a team of developers in building the tools that enable innovative outreach and help New Yorkers quickly access essential services like legal advice, healthcare, and affordable housing. Your day to day will involve not just working on challenging design problems, but also finding solutions that will make the city a more equitable place.
Skills and responsibilities
- Oversee a four-person team of engineers throughout all stages of development from inception to deployment.
- Work with PEU’s outreach and data teams to determine policy priorities and turn those priorities into agile sprint goals.
- Set realistic timelines for development and analyze progress.
- Write clear user stories and use Jira to maintain a well-organized backlog.
- Create sketches, wireframes, and mock-ups of new application screens.
- Conduct usability testing and hold feedback sessions to find new ways to improve the user experience.
- Coordinate with city agencies that hope to use the EngageNYC applications.
- Create requirements documents and trainings summarizing application functionality.
New York City,NY
- 2+ years of experience in project and product management or in a technical leadership position for a software development project.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to keep track of many moving pieces.
- Experience managing and assigning tasks in an agile development environment.
- Ability to design intuitive, user-friendly mock-ups that will be used as the basis for further development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to individuals without a technical background.
- Desire to learn and suggest new technologies as needed.
- Working knowledge of SQL, Java, and/or Swift.
- Experience with source control (Git, SVN, Mercurial.)
- Experience using and/or developing a customized Salesforce solution.
- AWS experience.
- Deep knowledge of security issues, including HIPAA compliance.
- Experience in government.
- Experience in outreach or client relationship management work including but not limited to community, issue, labor or political organizing, sales operations, or customer service.
Submit your resume and a brief statement of interest to MayorsPEU@hra.nyc.gov with the subject line “PEU Product Manager [YOUR LAST NAME]”