American Progress has an immediate opening for an Audience Development Director to run the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s amplification and distribution efforts around building the case for progressive policies, values, and candidates. Applicants should have a keen understanding of how content gets disseminated across digital platforms. With Americans facing a greater onslaught of news and media content than ever before, it has never been more important to build hypertargeted strategies to break through the clutter and reach key audiences.
Strong candidates for this role will be able to think creatively about organic and paid distribution and amplification of content across all social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Search, and YouTube. Content will include videos, graphics, and microsites that help shine a light on and tear down the Trump administration’s harmful policies and build the case for a progressive future.
This is a full-time position funded through December 2020.
- Build out a program that dramatically expands CAP Action’s digital content amplification and distribution efforts.
- Lead and help develop CAP Action’s strategy to close the reach and engagement gaps on social media between right-wing and progressive movements.
- Track and report on who engages with CAP Action content.
- Build out and manage state-based and issue-based influencer and stakeholder lists.
- Pitch content to and help cultivate relationships with digital leads for key policy influencers and stakeholders, progressive candidates, elected officials, relevant Twitter and Facebook groups, and coalition partners.
- Oversee and manage day-to-day execution of CAP Action’s digital coordination efforts, including by drafting email updates and managing and moderating Twitter direct message groups and Facebook group conversations.
- Work closely with the Digital Strategy, Communications, story bank, and campaigns teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and audiences that American Progress is trying to reach.
- Help brainstorm innovative and creative digital content ideas that help move the needle on American Progress’ core fights and resonate with target audiences.
- Manage and execute paid media buys on Facebook and Google Search.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices for digital content distribution.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least eight years of professional experience in social media, audience development, or digital content creation.
- Political experience on a campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit is a plus.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Detail oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Familiarity with Facebook Insights, Twitter analytics, and other social listening tools.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Collaborative and fun to work with.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Deadline: n/a