Cloud to Street is the leading flood mapping platform designed to protect the world’s most climate-vulnerable communities. By harnessing global satellites, advanced science, and community intelligence, we monitor worldwide floods in near real-time and remotely analyze local flood exposure at a click of a button. Our mission is to ensure that all vulnerable governments finally access the high quality information they need to prepare for and respond to increasing catastrophes. Founded by two women at Yale and seeded by Google, Cloud to Street is or has been used by governments across 15 countries. We are on track to enable new flood protection and insurance for 10 million people in the next 5 years.
As a Cloud to Street member, you:
- Lead development of rigorous science at start-up technology company focused on social impact and sustainable development
- Serve the underserved by reducing the scientific barriers for low and middle income countries to access the information governments, businesses, and communities need to sustainably develop and thrive
- Are in solidarity with vulnerable communities by spending time with flood affected populations and organizations who serve them
- Increase equity by making information accessible to historically marginalized communities and building a diverse and inclusive start-up
We are looking for a best-in-class engineer to lead infrastructure and data engineering. You should apply if you are eager to use engineering to reduce the impact of catastrophic flooding and build an innovative and sustainable organization. In this role, you will lead the development of data infrastructure to help process remote sensing imagery and develop algorithms. You will work with a team of scientists and engineers with expertise in remote sensing (optical, radar, and passive microwave), hydrology, climate, social vulnerability, UX, and machine learning to i) optimize and improve Cloud to Street’s current flood mapping system and ii) build the next generation of tools to ensure financial protection from floods in marginalized communities.
Skills and responsibilities
- Design and implement scalable data pipelines to process satellite imagery from a variety of sources
- Support the science team in processing data to analyze and design algorithms
- Help the deployment team transmit reliable and critical data to governments, aid agencies, and other clients
- Collaborate with a team of exceptional scientists and engineers that want you to grow and be successful
- Help build a growing engineering and technology team
- You tell us! Each member has skills not in their job description that are important for our growth. We would love to hear your unique talents and how we can help each other grow.
Brooklyn,NYBrooklyn, NY preferred; remote work possible for the right candidate
- This job is remote friendly.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in computer science or a related field
- Experience building large, scalable data pipelines
- Coding proficiency in python
- Comfortable designing and implementing pipelines from the ground up
- Excited to have an influential role in a quickly growing team
- Self-starter with ability to work within a fast-paced and rapid-evolving startup
- Eagerness to learn new skills and help with the task at hand
- Prioritizes justice, diversity, science, and solidarity with vulnerable communities
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform with services such as Dataflow, Compute Engine, Storage
- Working with a geographically distributed team