The NYC Mayor’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer (MOCTO) facilitates citywide coordination and collaboration on technology issues, serves as a catalyst for and advises agencies on innovation, and interacts with the wider New York City technology ecosystem. Within MOCTO, the Broadband portfolio works to close the digital divide and ensure that every New Yorker has access to affordable, high-performance internet connectivity both at home and on the go.
The successful candidate will serve as Director of Broadband Technology, reporting to the Deputy Chief Technology Officer for Broadband.
- Collaborate with other relevant MOCTO staff on solicitations and implementation to advance the development of citywide infrastructure that enables multiple network technologies and multiple operators, including: Support the design of Requests for Proposals and review responses, advising on technical, operational, and business planning elements;
- Advise on the selection and procurement of a vendor or vendors, particularly in the evaluation of proposed network design and cost;
- Work closely with the selected vendor(s) to direct and finalize system level design;
- Review technical elements of completed projects for adherence to project requirements and citywide standards;
- Serve as a subject matter expert for standard and emerging broadband technologies;
- Advise on strategy and plans for network operations and expansions;
- Work with the MOCTO staff to inform all City broadband-related programs, plans and capital projects, including identifying key progress indicators and other metrics that measure broadband proliferation and performance;
- Oversee a team with technical and operational responsibilities to support the above activities, including managing the staff, coordinating with contractors, and consulting with MOCTO senior leadership;
- Assume increasing leadership responsibilities
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 24 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or in a pertinent scientific, technical, electronic or related area, and four years of satisfactory full time experience in the performance of analytical, planning, operational, technical, or administrative duties in a voice and/or data telecommunications or closely related electronics planning, management, and/or service organization, one year of which must have been in a highly specialized capacity and 18 months must have been in an executive, managerial, or administrative capacity or in the supervision of staff performing work in the voice and/or data telecommunications field; or
- An associate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 12 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or in a pertinent, scientific, technical, electronic or related area and five years of experience as described in “1” above; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and one year of the specialized experience as described in “1” above and must possess the 18 months of executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory experience as described in “1” above;
- Must be a NYC resident or be willing to relocate within 90 days.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree with 6+ years of work experience;
- Background in telecommunications engineering and wide knowledge of both traditional and emerging as well as wireline and wireless technologies;
- Understanding of emerging optical networking and wireless technologies, ideally with a demonstrated understanding of 4G/5G cellular deployment, Citizen Broadband Radio Service and unlicensed millimeter wave fixed wireless access;
- Demonstrated commitment to digital equity and inclusive economic development;
- Experience managing a team in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated passion for educating others and experience collaborating with non-technical colleagues to achieve shared organization objectives or policy goals. Demonstrated experience in the design and delivery of complex projects, with an emphasis on telecommunications and broadband infrastructure design and delivery;
- Experience working in both the public and private/nonprofit sectors preferred, ideally with knowledge of conditions and key stakeholders in New York City;
- Comfort using key performance indicators to inform policy decisions;
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization;
- Ability to influence others even when they may not be directly accountable to you;
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing;
- A growth mindset.