TechCongress is building 21st century government with technology talent through our Congressional Innovation Fellowship. We are a non-profit startup incubated at the Open Technology Institute at New America. Our mission is to bridge the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing technologists to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees in order to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders— who can understand the challenges of government and the technology community— and keep Congress up-to-date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
We've got great staff and advisors doing all we can to bridge the gap between government and the technology community. TechCongress is nonpartisan and works with a diverse set of political voices, and does not take positions on issues. We are building a new generation of technology leaders, and support our staff and fellows with professional development, networking, and freedom to tinker and test new ideas. Above all, we are vigilantly focused on adding value—to our people, our institutions and our society.
We are looking for a self-starter and great communicator to join us as our Deputy Director to grow TechCongress! This is an exciting role at the intersection of tech, policy and politics focused on bridging the government and technology sectors. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
Skills and responsibilities
- Have primary responsibility for the Congressional Innovation Fellows and their activities in Congress, including recruitment and selection of fellows, orientation and placement of fellows, organizing events, meetings, and regular check-ins.
- Manage the DC office, including partnership development and administration of programs.
- Lead our DC relationships by conducting interviews with Congressional staff and others to help improve the program.
- Manage all activities of the fellowships, including our recruitment, ongoing programming, fundraising and administrative needs.
- Help us continue to build the core fellowship and test new models and ideas for growth, including training programs for Congressional staff.
- Manage social media and a regular newsletter. Maintain or develop new program materials and website content.
- Participate in TechCongress training or development programs (including accelerator programs).
Washington,DCThe actual location of the program is at New America 740 15th Street, NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20005
$90,000.00-$11,000.00yearly, Salary commensurate with experience.
- A great connector with strong interpersonal skills
- Someone who is self-motivated and entrepreneurial
- A person who does well at setting their own agenda- you excel because it’s important to you, and you don’t need a lot of external pressure to perform
- Minimum of seven - nine years of professional experience
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds with unique skillsets
- A willingness to try new things, and fail, and bring a creative and entrepreneurial energy to the job
- Track record of successfully taking initiative and working with others
- Committed to modernizing our legislative branch by helping Members of Congress and Congressional staff
- A desire to be part of a program making an impact on good governance
Candidates should have at least one of the following (bonus points for more):
- Two years of experience working with Capitol Hill either as a staffer or as part of an outside group that regularly engages with Congress
- Experience managing a fellowship program
- Fundraising experience
- Experience working on technology policy in Washington, D.C.
- Technical ability or familiarity with technology
- Experience at an Executive Branch technology initiative (including the US Digital Service, 18F, the Technology Transformation Service or Presidential Innovation Fellows)
We know you may not have every qualification as listed.