We’re the COOK Alliance: a coalition of immigrants, stay at home parents, community builders, educators, activists, policy makers, technologists, and home cooks.
We’ve been working to advocate for the recognition of home cooking as compensated and dignified work since 2014. We legalized the first home restaurants by passing Microenterprise Home Kitchen (MEHKO) laws in California and are now bringing our campaign nation-wide.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Our incoming Executive Director will lead us into an entirely new phase of our work, as the first home restaurant permits (in U.S. history!) are issued across California. Legalization means that home cooking will soon involve regulators, tech companies, & cities in new ways. We are growing our leadership team to ensure cooks’ voices are heard and that they have trusted representation for advocacy & support— a modern union for the empowered gig worker.
This role will require entrepreneurial energy, creativity, and vision. Our work continues to take shape as part of a broader shift in collective thinking around food & labor in the modern world (from food trucks & “know your farmer”, to AB 5 & gig worker rights). You will join a core team that values collaborative decision-making and prides itself on scrappiness and adaptability.
An Executive Director will help us increase our capacity as an organization that serves cooks and their communities. Your core responsibilities will be building people power and fundraising, but your work will also include refining our brand communications & org management:
Fiscal oversight and fundraising: (40%)
- Grow sustainable funding sources for core operating expenses and staff
- Lead new fund development and grant-writing efforts, including engaging with both individual donors and aligned philanthropic organizations
Brand building (20%)
- Refine brand voice and lead public communications (written newsletter, website, press, and speaking engagements)
- Establish partnerships with organizations that can provide resources to cooks and serve as accountability partners for Alliance
Org management (20%)
- Help establish our new Board of Directors, Cook Advisory Board, and community governance/input model
Building our direct cook engagement model (20%)
- Develop people power through direct cook community relationships, including 1:1 meetings, cook coaching, and resource matching
- Develop localized cook leadership, including a community lead/ cook mentorship network model
- Organize cooks for industry collective bargaining and legislative advocacy
- Deeply invested in the intersecting movements of food, labor, & social justice
- 5+ years experience with direct service organization or community engagement work
- 2+ years experience with fundraising and grant development and management, including active connections in philanthropy
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills (bilingual preferred)
- Ability to build trust within and across a large spectrum of close knit communities (underrepresented cooks, policymakers, private sector).