The San Francisco Digital Services is transforming how residents interact with the City, by building services designed around the people that use them.
The team is comprised of product managers, designers, developers, and content strategists. As a member of this team, you would be part of a new and growing movement, with an opportunity to shape the City’s approach to technology.
The San Francisco Digital Services team improves the public’s experience with the city by delivering high-quality, accessible experiences for the website, in-person experiences and for the city employees supporting these services.
You will work to help design the next generation visual design system for cross-platform touchpoints of San Francisco Digital Services. You will create pixel-perfect visual assets and help maintain the component library. You’ll work to improve the public’s experience with the city’s new website, online services and signage and wayfinding for supporting offline experience.
You’ll work with the Design Director, other designers, product managers, and developers from across SF Digital Services to understand their projects’ design needs and create a design system that works for all of them. You will get into the detail and complexity of designing a robust and complete design system, but be able to switch into the high-level view to make sure the overall user experience is easy and clear.
Skills and responsibilities
- A portfolio of work that shows a highly polished visual design
- Demonstrated experience creating production-ready visual design assets
- Experience designing and implementing design systems or pattern libraries
- Experience with responsive design and designing for different devices or screens
- Experience designing for accessibility
- Some technical familiarity for user interface design (visually articulating design for states and behaviors)
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable taking photographs to create visual photographic assets for the website and print collateral
- Flourishes when working as part of a team with other designers, content writers, developers, and product managers
- Good communication skills with experience influencing cross-functional stakeholders
- Able to be practical and resourceful to remove blockers and get things done
- The desire for constructive criticism of your work and ability to constructively review the work of others
- Create visual designs that effectively communicate product function and brand identity, including the design and production of screen layouts, color palettes, typography, user interface elements, and icons
- Work with the design team to develop a vision for the City’s design system and how it can be most useful and effective
- Continually develop the look and feel for the City’s websites to promote ease, consistency, and accessibility of our services
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to understand design requirements and needs
- Create visual and UI design concepts, with an eye on specific components and patterns, as well as the website overall
- Present design ideas to stakeholders, and explain your design decisions clearly
- Work with front end developers to understand the feasibility of your design ideas and ensure accurate implementation
San Francisco,CANote: We are unable to sponsor employment visas
$89,206.00-$112,190.00yearly, Salary range is firm and dependent on documented proof of experience
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor's degree in graphics design, interaction design, fine arts, or a related design discipline
- Proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, and/or Figma