The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the City, by building services designed around the people that use them.
The team improves the public’s experience with the city by delivering high-quality, accessible experiences for the website, in-person experiences and for the city employees supporting these services.
SFDS is comprised of product managers, designers, developers, and content strategists. As a member of this team, you would be part of a new and growing movement, with an opportunity to shape the City’s approach to technology.
As a Senior UX Designer in the San Francisco Digital Services team, you’ll work to improve the public’s experience with City services. With a focus on system and user flow design, you will develop design patterns and reusable components that make it easy for the City to deliver high-quality, accessible experiences for the website. Your work can also touch in-person experiences, and tools for City staff.
You’ll work with other designers, product managers, and developers from across SF Digital Services to understand their projects’ design needs and create a design system that works for all of them. You will get into the detail and complexity of designing a robust and complete design system, but be able to switch into the high-level view to make sure the overall user experience is easy and clear.
This position reports directly to the Design Director and interfaces closely with the Product Manager of the project, products or services the Senior UX Designer is assigned to.
Skills and responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience designing digital products
- Strong visual and UI design skills
- Strong interaction design skills and expertise in designing web interfaces
- Experience designing and implementing design systems or pattern libraries
- Meticulous and thorough, experience designing comprehensive solutions that account for edge cases and alternative states
- Experience with responsive design and designing for different devices or screens
- Experience designing for accessibility
- Strategically incorporates user research into the design process
- Some technical familiarity with modern web product development
- Flourishes when working as part of a team with other designers, content writers, developers, and product managers
- Good communication skills with experience influencing cross-functional stakeholders
- Able to be practical and resourceful to remove blockers and get things done
- The desire for constructive criticism of your work and ability to constructively review the work of others
- Design and specify information flow and interface design
- Produce user requirements, specifications, storyboards, personas, and prototypes as needed to iterate and communicate design
- Lead the project team in prototyping potential solutions
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Manage the design process within their project team, drive decisions, track issues, and assist in estimating resource needs and schedules
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented
San Francisco,CANote: We are unable to sponsor employment visas
$122,512.00-$154,102.00yearly, Salary range is firm and dependent on documented proof of experience
- Four years of relevant work experience
- A bachelor's degree in a related field or its equivalent in terms of total course credits (additional work experience can be substituted for a degree on a year-for-year basis)