With your application, include your resume, cover letter, GitHub profile and links to a few projects you're especially proud of. (If sharing via GitHub is not an option for you, please provide us another way to evaluate your technical skills. This might entail sharing a side project or submitting a code sample in a different form.)
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Skills and responsibilities
- Translate editorial goals into sustainable applications and infrastructure
- Work with developers and designers on our team, as well as reporters and editors throughout the newsroom, to design and build NPR’s coverage for the 2020 elections
- Load, merge, and present political data. Experience with the AP data feeds in particular is valuable but not a hard-and-fast prerequisite.
- Work closely with individual story producers, editors and other teammates to identify opportunities for visual storytelling and data visualization
- Document your work for teammates, newsroom colleagues and/or external audiences and lead training sessions
- Strong communication skills to coordinate with teammates and stakeholders, understand evolving project requirements and explain complex information to diverse audiences
- Demonstrated initiative and self-starting skills; ability to work independently
- Sincere curiosity, attention to detail and love for making things
- Experience with server-side code written in Python or Node (particularly in Flask on the Python side, or Express for Node)
- Experience writing code to consume REST APIs and structure data delivered to client applications
- Experience developing software projects using the Git version control system
- Previous experience with coverage of U.S. election results, especially using data from the Associated Press
- Solid news judgment and the ability to think in terms of the information needs of the audience
- Experience with GIS/mapping software such as ArcMap or QGIS, command-line mapmaking workflows or web mapmaking tools (Leaflet, etc.)
- Familiarity with data analysis techniques, especially in command-line or scriptable environments like Jupyter Notebook
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services and provisioning AWS resources using the console, CLI and API
- Experience with data visualization and interactive design using modern web frameworks like Vue or React
- Experience working on Agile software teams
- Love for using and contributing to open-source software
Washington,DCWe’re willing to consider remote workers on a case by case basis.