Coding it Forward is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit by and for young people creating new opportunities and pathways into social impact and civic technology. Learn more at codingitforward.com.
Coding it Forward is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit by and for young people creating new opportunities and pathways into social impact and civic technology.
Through the Civic Digital Fellowship, we’re looking for mission-driven software engineers, data scientists, designers, and product managers to modernize technology at federal government agencies.
As a Civic Digital Fellow, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the technology behind government services and apply your skills to develop solutions that will directly serve everyday Americans. Your summer will include mentorship from civic technology leaders, site visits to leading technology companies and civic organizations, and the opportunity to impact a large user base — 323 million Americans.
Join the 100+ Civic Digital Fellowship alumni who’ve worked on high impact projects—including saving taxpayers millions of dollars in survey costs using machine learning algorithms at the Census Bureau, building tools for diplomats abroad at the State Department, and developing a tool at the VA for Veterans to more easily take advantage of their GI Bill benefits.
Areas of expertise we’re looking for
- Software Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Product Manager
- UX/UI Designer
We value applicants who:
- Excel technically. Whether it’s your software engineering, data science, design, or product management, you bring a valuable skillset to the table.
- Driven by our mission. You want to make a meaningful difference with your tech skills and are excited about public service and social impact.
- Move quickly and carefully. You can navigate bureaucracy, iterate on your ideas to produce high-quality results, and champion your product.
- Are great to work with. You’re collaborative and great with teams. You’ll help make the Civic Digital Fellowship more inclusive for the whole cohort.
- Design with users, not for them. The United States Digital Service says it best: “To deliver products and services that provide value to users, it’s essential that we experience their experiences. The best products and services aren’t created behind closed doors.”
- $4,000+ stipend
- Free housing
- Free domestic travel to and from Washington, D.C.
- Currently enrolled in or a Winter 2019 graduate of a Bachelor’s or advanced degree program—all fields of study are welcome;
- Previous experience in your field;
- Passion for civic engagement and government;