Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis atwww.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Software Engineers are responsible for building the backbone of Civis Analytics -- the software products that our customers use to solve their hardest business problems. Civis engineers have near-endless opportunities to create new products and improve existing processes, from backend data processing to visualization and analytics tools, and we welcome your creativity.
Whether you're a generalist or an expert in web apps, big data, stats, or visualization, we want to talk to you.
We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new products in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and quickly ramp up on projects of increasing responsibility.
We want to never stop learning. Everyone has a mentor from day one and tracks their personal development alongside their technical deliverables. We staff projects based on what people will learn, not just who knows it best today.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Skills and responsibilities
- Develop high-quality software
- Support and mentor other engineers
- Review and debug code
- Effectively apply Civis best practices methodology and enforces design standards
- Ensures project documents are complete, current, and archived appropriately
- Ability to research, prototype and recommend software solutions
- Collaborate with other teams within the organization
- Engage the project on an emotional level as well as technical
- Deadline: n/a
- 3+ years experience as a software developer/engineer
- Experience developing web applications with frameworks such as Rails or Django
- Comfort working with SQL databases
- Love of problem-solving
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related subject
- Significant experience with one or more of the following:
- Developing large web applications
- Python, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Designing and building APIs
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS applications
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Data visualization for the web (using D3 or similar)
- React or AngularJS
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R, STATA)