The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is hiring a Technical Program Manager to handle complex inter-team dependencies, coordinate programs from start to finish and bridge the gaps in technical management for the IT, data and tools we provide to help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country.
The Tech team is a small, diverse team that provides the technology used by candidates and organizers in all 50 states and all 3,413 counties across the United States to analyze data, organize campaigns, raise money, and get out the vote on election day. But there’s more to do. So we’re hiring product managers, engineers, researchers, designers, security experts, IT professionals, and data scientists who can use user-centered design and rapid iteration to develop a rich technology ecosystem for progressives—building tools ourselves as well as partnering with other companies and organizations.
The Technical Program Manager (TPM) will enable the DNC tech team to deliver value through engineering excellence. As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the customer needs versus technical constraints. You will take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Skills and responsibilities
- Managing business and technical requirements, design, performance expectations and goals with all stakeholder teams.
- Partnering with our Leads team to define strategy and build roadmaps for the implementation of new technologies.
- Earning trust through regular communication with our Leads team on status, risks and change control for the DNC tech roadmap.
- Coordinating the technical contract management process for the DNC, and managing vendor relationships.
- Serving as the primary point of contact for internal teams across all departments at the DNC as it relates to technical requests or support.
- Reviewing metrics from ticketing systems and working to improve processes.
Washington,DCWe prefer the role to be located in Washington, D.C., but are willing to consider remote applicants.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Salary: , While we've done some budget hacking so we can be competitive when it comes to salaries we know we can’t beat Google or Facebook. On the other hand, you might legit help save the world.
- 5+ years of Product Management or Technical Program Management experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- Prior experience as a software developer
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and ability to handle high-pressure communication with senior management
- Experience solving challenging engineering problems with multiple constraints
- Experience managing the lifecycle of a complex cross-functional program
- Significant technical depth and understanding of distributed systems and engineering best practices
- Thorough understanding of software development lifecycle from conception to delivery
- A proven track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
This is a full-time role. We prefer the role to be located in Washington, D.C., but are willing to consider remote applicants. If you are coming from industry, however, be aware that some things are different in the world of politics: while we've done some budget hacking so we can be competitive when it comes to salaries we know we can’t beat Google or Facebook. On the other hand, you might legit help save the world.