Binti builds software with the goal of helping every child have a family. 400,000 children are currently in foster care in the US and millions are in orphanages around the world. 30% of the US’s homeless population and 25% of prison inmates experienced foster care as youth. It’s clear that children who don’t have families don’t have a fair chance at life and Binti wants to change this. Binti is a mission-driven, technology company based in Oakland, California.
Since our launch in 2016, we’ve helped over 12,000 families get approved to foster/adopt children and over 3,000 social workers use Binti as their primary workspace in the office and in the field. Binti partners with county and state governments in 12 states to improve the foster care system and has increased the number of families approved by 60% in areas it works in, making a meaningful impact on more children having families. We have a huge vision in foster care, adoption and beyond and are growing our team quickly to help us get there.
We have a Product & Engineering team of 10 uniquely diverse individuals across different areas of technical and personal experience. We’re passionate about helping every child have a family. We also care a lot about creating a workplace where everyone feels welcome and can bring their full self to work. https://binti.com/team/
As an early engineer, you'll help define Binti's engineering culture and build a product that helps children in foster care across the US (and hopefully soon, even further!). Our product is built on Ruby on Rails and React, backed by a Postgres database and hosted on Google Cloud.
Skills and responsibilities
Some of the fun challenges we're facing:
- Taking ownership of our frontend environment to build a beautiful, yet intuitive and accessible interface for users from all walks of life
- Growing our team, moving quickly, while maintaining a welcoming and supportive culture
- Scaling our reporting infrastructure to handle complex needs
- Building internal tools to help our technical account executive team build out complex custom forms, including versioning and data migration tools
- Analyzing governmental data across agencies to identify patterns and areas of improvements
- Maintaining complex schedules and timelines for applicants and surfacing it in an intuitive way to caseworkers.
- Maintaining HIPAA compliance for sensitive data that is shared with us
Oakland,CAEast Bay Area - San Francisco, CA
$120,000.00-$150,000.00yearly, Based on experience
Experience & skills:
- At least 4+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Self-motivated, experienced engineer who enjoys owning projects from inception to completion
- Comfortable delving into the full stack
- End-to-end experience building, shipping, and maintaining products
- Having a growth mindset, having a sense of urgency, and being comfortable with challenging the status quo
- Experience coaching and mentoring colleagues to level up as a team
- Track record of breaking through walls on your way to success
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills