Open States strives to improve civic engagement at the state level by providing data and tools regarding state legislatures. We aim to serve members of the public, activist groups, journalists, and researchers with better data on what is happening in their state capital, and to provide tools to reduce barriers to participation and increase engagement.
Open States aggregates legislative information from all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico. This information is then standardized, cleaned, and published to the public via OpenStates.org, a powerful API, and bulk downloads. OpenStates.org enables individuals to find out who represents them, look up information on an important bill that’s been in the news, discover how their representatives are voting, or just stay current with what is happening in their capital. Additionally, our API and bulk downloads see millions of hits every month from advocacy organizations, journalists, researchers, and many others.
For the past few years Open States has been run by volunteers, but we have received a NSF grant to fund work for (at least) the next 9 months. The founder/lead architect of the project will be going full time and is looking for one more developer to join the team full time.
The primary responsibility will be to write and maintain web scrapers and improve our record-linkage and full text extraction pipelines.
Depending on interest and experience level there is plenty of room for this individual to contribute to our automation/ETL infrastructure, frontend development, and DevOps-type work.
Skills and responsibilities
- Build & maintain web scrapers to collect legislative information for all 50 states, DC, and Puerto Rico.
- Work with processing pipeline that brings together proposed state legislation, committee & chamber actions, votes, legislators, and committees
- Help design improved record-linkage and full text extraction
- Comfortable working solo in a remote position.
- Minimal travel may be required, primarily to Washington DC.
- This job is remote friendly.
$60,000.00-$80,000.00yearly, Position will include full benefits via a Public University.
- 3+ Years Python experience
- Solid understanding of HTML/CSS/etc. (for web scraping)
- Fully comfortable with Git/GitHub.
- Commitment to writing clear and concise code.
- Experience with modern front-end development, such as React.
- Experience using backend frameworks, such as Django.
- Exposure to AWS, Docker, Terraform, etc.