Government agencies are responsible for addressing some of society’s greatest challenges. Yet they increasingly lack the tools to design and evaluate initiatives based on rapid advances in the data and social sciences. RegLab is building a bridge between government agencies and academic frontiers in data science to revitalize the administrative state. We are an interdisciplinary team of legal experts, data scientists, social scientists, and engineers who are passionate about building an evidence base and high impact demonstration projects for better government. Our home at Stanford allows us to leverage state-of-the-art advances in machine learning, artificial intelligence, and causal inference that have the potential to dramatically improve and reenvision government.
The Executive Director for the Regulation, Evaluation, and Governance Lab (RegLab), a full-time position, will serve as the chief staff person for the Lab, collaborating with and reporting to the Faculty Director (Professor Dan Ho) in planning, administering, and implementing the goals of the Lab. As an expert advisor and administrator, the Executive Director will work closely with the Faculty Director to lead the strategic planning for the Lab, support the Lab’s research agenda and initiatives, and assist in managing its financial development. The Executive Director will collaborate with academic partners, help supervise program staff, and communicate with external partners to meet the goals of the Lab. The Executive Director will also help manage external University relations, the Lab’s online presence, and lead the investigation of new funding opportunities and the financial management of the Lab.
Skills and responsibilities
As Executive Director, you will:
- Represent the Lab to the broader University, external community, and other stakeholders. Develop outreach strategy related to program communications, including creating and managing website content and related publications, including reports, proposals, policy briefings, brochures, and newsletters.
- Work closely with the Faculty Director in the development, implementation, administration, and evaluation of research initiatives and programming. This includes working with the Faculty Director to develop and pursue the direction and goals for the Lab, as well as helping to recruit, oversee and mentor lab staff.
- Help build a successful and vibrant portfolio of research collaborations by communicating with partner organizations and providing project management and supervision support to key initiatives.
- Lead the strategic development plan to identify and cultivate new funding opportunities. Write proposal and research grants, as well as reports on research, programming, and outreach.
- Meet with faculty, researchers, and others across the University to build relationships and facilitate new projects and initiatives.
- Help manage the budget, including forecasting and reporting on all activities and financial issues from year to year.
- Work cooperatively with other law school centers and programs to advance the educational and research mission of the law school and Stanford University.
- Salary: , Competitive
- Deadline: n/a
- Advanced degree and 5 years of relevant experience in law, public policy, and/or data science, or combination of related education and experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and an ability to work in a collaborative academic setting.
- Strong managerial skills, including the ability to organize events, prioritize tasks, help oversee and direct staff, and meet deadlines.
- Strong commitment to mentorship and to advancing the work of RegLab.
- Experience managing budgets and developing financial plans, as well as program administration and fundraising.
How to apply:
All interested and qualified applicants must submit their resume and a cover letter via the Stanford Jobs website (http://m.rfer.us/STANFORD7oz8LS).