Balancing Act is a SaaS suite of budget engagement tools to help government educate and engage citizens on the budget. In a highly scalable, cost-effective manner, it helps government to be responsive to taxpayer priorities and to build trust. The tool is used in more than 50 local governments and has been named to the GovTech100 for three years running.
We are hiring an experienced software engineer who can take a leadership role in developing new features and maintenance of our current stack. The ideal candidate will have at least four years experience working independently and with other developers.
We are a tech firm with mission to transform the way that government interacts with residents on matters of spending and taxation. We are looking for senior staff person who shares this excitement.
We have a small group of folks dedicated to high-quality public engagement. We are fun, committed and out to transform the way that citizens view taxes. The new teammate would share our passion and express it through helping our budget simulation to continue to break new ground.
We are looking for a full-stack web software engineer to augment our current engineering team.
Skills and responsibilities
- Manage a SaaS application composed of multiple pieces.
- Align business goals with application functionality.
- Deliver efficiently in a deadline-driven environment.
- Provide research and troubleshooting for various programming tasks.
- Support and maintain existing projects and engineers on small and large functionality.
- Document your contributions appropriately.
- Test your contributions thoroughly and adequately through both automated and manual means.
You'll need these skills to pay the bills:
- Experience with PHP 7
- Proficiency with MVC-style PHP frameworks, namely Laravel 5
- Understanding of RESTful APIs and associated concepts
- Knowledge and experience writing custom queries on databases like MySQL
- Understanding of SOLID principles and design patterns
- Familiarity with data security best practices
- Experience with front-end technologies like HTML5, CSS3 (and SASS), and front-end frameworks such as Vue.js and build tools
- Familiarity with version control system concepts, like Git
- Acquainted with package managers, like Composer, npm/yarn
- Comfortable working with cloud computing providers, like Amazon Web Services
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Bitbucket and Bitbucket Pipelines for managing deployment
- Experience with managing large test suites and writing additional API-level feature tests
- Ability to jump into a legacy Zend Framework 2 codebase
- Basic web server administration skills
- Familiarity with Laravel Nova
- Excellent technical communication skills
- This job is remote friendly.
4 years of experience in increasingly responsible positions of tech leadership.
PHP, Laravel, Vue.js, HTML5, AWS