Code for America builds technology to help government services work for the people who need them most.
Code for America’s Software Engineers are involved in all stages of our products’ lifecycle: product prototyping, developing features in response to user feedback, and operating technical systems at scale. We practice agile, iterative development, working closely with product managers, designers, researchers and users. Some of our current and past projects include:
- GetCalFresh: improve how government delivers food assistance to families in need.
- Integrated Benefits: simplify how Americans access safety net services.
- ClientComm: keep people out of jail by connecting them with case managers via text.
- Clear My Record: give people a second chance to get jobs and housing by clearing past convictions.
- Code for America Network: connect a national alliance of community organizers, developers, and designers.
You’ll be assigned to work full time on one of our active product teams, and may have the opportunity to rotate to other teams in the future.
We work with well-known and reliable technologies like Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on user needs and driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve. The ideal teammate is an engineer who focuses on user impact and reliable technology and will help us scale both technology and the team.
This position is full-time, based in our office in San Francisco and reports to one of our Engineering Managers.
Skills and responsibilities
- Craft new features that help users more easily navigate government services and receive a dignified experience.
- Write automated tests and develop monitoring strategies to ensure a high level of service quality.
- Implement minimal features to maximize learning, and then harden features to scale when we know they work.
- Pair with your teammates to design and deliver clean, reliable, and maintainable solutions to user problems. We like keeping communication high and the cost of change low.
- Interact with and help users yourself to better understand their experiences.
$105,000.00-$140,000.00yearly, Salary depends on experience.
- Interested in the mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- At least 4 years experience building software professionally, including at least 1 year of web development experience
- Understanding of computer science and web fundamentals, from data structures to APIs.
- Eager in collaborating with others, receiving mentorship, and teaching others.
- Willing to participate in all aspects of software development. You plan, code, test, deploy, monitor, and fix bugs.
- Can write understandable, testable, and maintainable code.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
- You are familiar with and comfortable with pair programming and test driven development (We don’t pair all the time, but we find it really helpful in lots of contexts!)
- Experience with one or more of the technologies we use, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, Golang, Electron, React, Terraform, and AWS cloud services.