We launched the New Jersey State Office of Innovation and Lab in 2018 to build and deliver better services for the people of the state using human-centered, data-driven, and agile practices. Our team is made up of dedicated and energetic individuals with experience in civic tech and policy. We are passionate about transforming the way government operates, and we support State agencies in innovating and improving the lives of all New Jerseyans.
We are looking to expand our team with experienced tech, government, and policy experts who share our passion and want to partner with teams throughout the state to design and deploy world-class innovative and digital services that solve pressing public interest challenges for the people of New Jersey. The team uses modern practices to deliver innovative solutions involving tech, talent, process, and policy with the support of the Governor, Chief Innovation Officer, and other senior leadership.
We encourage you to apply if you are excited to be an early member of our Lab who will drive meaningful change in how individuals, families, businesses, and communities interact with the state. This is an exciting time to join as New Jersey has a long history of innovation and there is now momentum and investment to reestablish NJ as an economic and innovation leader.
If you have significant hands-on experience delivering modern, digital solutions in complex environments, in a startup, or for very large user communities, we’d love to hear from you as we are actively seeking team members with these backgrounds who can dive into our current projects.
You will be joining a small, cross-functional team that operates as a startup in the NJ government and works closely together at every step. In your role, you will immediately join one of our project teams to shape our understanding of the problem and begin to deliver solutions that will have a meaningful impact for New Jerseyans. The areas we cover will expand over time and currently include:
- creating tools to enable the public to participate in open policy making
- making modern career services and digital tools available to support job seekers in identifying, preparing for, and obtaining family-sustaining jobs
- improving the way entrepreneurs and business owners start, operate, and grow their businesses in the state (just figuring out what forms need to be submitted can be overwhelming)
Product designers who are ready to roll up sleeves and run different parts of the design process. Designers lead end-to-end research through execution of UX and UI using modern practices and tools to arrive at key insights and solutions that can be iteratively developed by the team and tested with users. As part of the team, designers:
- Lead the end-to-end human-centered design and research process for a key project
- Work with stakeholders to define the problem and create + execute a research plan
- Use both human-centered and data-driven research methodologies to generate insights and key learnings
- Design prototypes such as mockups and wireframes of varying fidelity to share with team members, stakeholders and users
- Work closely with developers to bring designs to life and iteratively improve solutions
- Deadline: n/a