Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
Your initial engagement will be with the U.S. Air Force (USAF). The USAF’s ability to efficiently and effectively supply aircrew with the most useful and usable equipment is central to its core mission of national defense. Many aircrew, however, particularly women (https://bit.ly/2JIgxGQ), face obstacles to acquiring and using the equipment that they personally need to train and combat at the highest levels of performance.
Our job is to translate the product vision that our customer has for solving this problem into a valuable, high-quality, cost-effective software solution using modern digital delivery practices and technologies. Envisioned capabilities of the product include, for example, the ability for aircrew to provide feedback on equipment issues, the ability for program/acquisition personnel to analyze this feedback, the ability for aircrew to order what they need online, and the ability for aircrew to learn how best to use equipment through online training videos.
What you’ll do:
- Engineer an incredible experience for developers who are working in web-based environments such as Ruby, Python, Java, and Node.js through automation, virtualization, and process improvement
- Achieve technical excellence by advocating for and adhering to lean-agile engineering principles and practices such as simple design and automated testing
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Expertise in the areas of version control, deployment automation, continuous integration, test automation, monitoring, proactive notification, and “shift-left security”
- Able to deploy and configure services using infrastructure as a service providers such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
- Able to solve problems using scripting and programming skills
- Able to administer Linux-based systems, as well as Apache-based web servers
- Experience with Elasticsearch and Docker
- Experience creating secure systems while enhancing the privacy of all system users
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary, agile team format
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Ability to travel to Montgomery, Alabama from time to time
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and/or bonus opportunities
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and more
- 401k match at 10% of your salary
- Unlimited paid time-off policy
- $2,000 continuing education allowance, including conference events
- Incentives for living in a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map), including relocation assistance and a monthly stipend to help offset the cost of rent or mortgage. (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Deadline: n/a