Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
Your initial engagement will be with the U.S. Air Force (USAF). The USAF’s ability to efficiently and effectively supply aircrew with the most useful and usable equipment is central to its core mission of national defense. Many aircrew, however, particularly women (https://bit.ly/2JIgxGQ), face obstacles to acquiring and using the equipment that they personally need to train and combat at the highest levels of performance.
Our job is to translate the product vision that our customer has for solving this problem into a valuable, high-quality, cost-effective software solution using modern digital delivery practices and technologies. Envisioned capabilities of the product include, for example, the ability for aircrew to provide feedback on equipment issues, the ability for program/acquisition personnel to analyze this feedback, the ability for aircrew to order what they need online, and the ability for aircrew to learn how best to use equipment through online training videos.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a cross-functional team of designers, engineers, and subject matter experts to build and ship products and services. This includes holding daily stand-ups, managing retrospective meetings, and providing weekly updates.
- Define vision, goals, and measures for success for a portfolio of products and services
- Translate needs from users and government partners into an overall vision and product roadmap
- Proactively socialize, iterate on, and build buy-in for product initiatives with the team and government partners
- Work in close partnership with government teams to transfer skills and product knowledge throughout the course of the project
- Define the direction, scope, and priority of projects, building from user research to minimum viable products to scalable solutions
- Creatively navigate bureaucratic challenges, paving the way for more intuitive processes in the future
- Collaborate with government partners to ensure compatibility with existing processes and technologies
- Draw on data and feedback to inform the product and service vision
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Experience shipping products in an agile environment
- Passion for creating simple, elegant user experiences
- Deep understanding of user centered design methods, iterative development, and usability best practices
- Demonstrated track record of execution and entrepreneurial thinking
- Previous experience with building or managing enterprise-level products is a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Relationship builder who enjoys working with a variety of people and functions. You should be able to listen, ask questions to discern the true nature of problems, and synthesize needs (from internal and external stakeholders) into an actionable product roadmap.
- Extensive experience using analytical and creative thinking to solve problems
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Positive attitude and a sense of humor
- Empathetic, collaborative, and able to adapt in the face of constraints
- Preference given to candidates with knowledge of product management technologies and best practices (such as Trello and GitHub)
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Ability to travel to Montgomery, Alabama from time to time
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and/or bonus opportunities
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and more
- 401k match at 10% of your salary
- Unlimited paid time-off policy
- $2,000 continuing education allowance, including conference events
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
- Incentives for living in a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map), including relocation assistance and a monthly stipend to help offset the cost of rent or mortgage. (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- This job is remote friendly.