There’s an abundance of valuable public data out there, but it’s buried in siloed, balkanized government databases where it lies largely unusable. Vigilant is a platform for public records data search and monitoring. We unlock that information, make it actionable, and help our customers leverage it to make critical decisions. Our customers span financial services, politics, public affairs, and media. Our product suite includes a universal search layer for public data and sophisticated monitoring systems.
Our team is a mix of engineers, open data geeks, and political researchers. We’re looking for candidates comfortable in a high-growth, fast-paced environment. We value tenacity, a commitment to learning, collaboration and direct communication, diverse opinions, and a deep-seated belief in the power of data to inform and improve how things get done.
The Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) will join Vigilant’s growing engineering team to improve existing systems, optimize new deployments, and reduce inefficiencies. The SRE is critical to Vigilant’s growth and will be a key contributor to the team. Vigilant’s engineering team is collaborative, focused, and holds itself to an extremely high standard — the right candidate will have similar qualities.
The ideal candidate has experience with:
- Managing, integrating, and deploying cloud services
- Managing authentication mechanisms
- Implementing integrated automated test frameworks, to improve code management and product quality
- Managing infrastructure as code, and network topologies in a descriptive model
- Managing configuration, containerization and orchestration integrations
- You’re constantly thinking about and working to identify, correct, and improve on inefficiencies
- You’re quick to solve problems, regardless of the time of day
- You’re able to clearly prioritize problems and implement solutions, despite potentially conflicting points of feedback
- You’re eager to identify and implement automations wherever possible
- You understand the importance of documentation and strive to ensure processes are consistent
- You’re deeply committed to operational security
What you’ll do:
- Participate in IaC, SaaS-based infrastructure and architectural implementation
- Provide analysis of performance metrics, diagnose and troubleshoot potential infrastructure issues as they arise
- Administer and optimize our Linux deployments
- An important part of your role will be working to reduce the development defect cycle time, statistical, analytical assessment
- Monitor implementations
- Manage the release platform and strategies
- Reduce inefficient mechanisms that impact agile development and development cycles
- Minimize mean time to resolution of production degradation
Constant learning and insatiable curiosity. We organize information, and we’re always keen to know more. We’re committed to learning and growth and enjoy working with those who share that commitment.
We’re guided by a deep empathy for our customers and their needs. We think carefully about how our users - and our world - may be affected by every decision we make. We’re constantly aiming to drive improvements for our users.
We aim high. We’re taking on large, difficult problems, and are looking to build meaningful solutions and scale a substantial company that will have lasting impact. Ambition is a compliment in our book.
Relentless tenacity. We do the work. We tend to see obstacles as existing to be overcome. When we decide to do something, we work at it until it gets done.
Real humility. We know that we aren’t doing this alone. We hold ourselves accountable for our missteps, and gladly share credit for our successes. We recognize that we don’t have all the answers, or even most of them.
We draw the owl. We’re growing, and there isn’t usually a defined set of instructions for any given task. We figure it out. We work, iterate, improve. (In the interest of full disclosure, we shamelessly borrowed this notion from Twilio’s corporate values).
We have a bias towards action. If we notice an issue is affecting the business, we work to fix it immediately, even if it’s not in our wheelhouse.
We save our paperclips. We have an ownership mentality and act in the company’s best interest. We’re conscious of how our actions and behavior impact the business and the company’s bottom line. We celebrate efficient solutions.
We follow through. We do what we say. We get the job done.
- Deadline: n/a