The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates a budget of $4+ billion, 6,600+ employees, and serves 1+ million residents and businesses across 180 sq. miles.
We aspire to be as innovative as the community we serve.
The Information Technology Department (IT) aims to provide meaningful impact through smart uses of technology in service to our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, and the Customer Contact Center, powered by a robust infrastructure of an expansive municipal area network, compute and storage. IT provides citywide strategic planning, enterprise architecture, product-portfolio management, and IT fiscal services.
Come join us realize San José’s Smart City Vision!
The Information Technology Department is seeking a strong Products-Projects Manager with a deep passion for building amazing civic products that engage the City’s residents and businesses. This position is a temporary, benefitted management position, with a standard 40 hours per week budged through June 2020. The City’s Products-Projects Managers are leaders in the City’s efforts to deliver a superior customer experience to residents, businesses, and staffs. If you are passionate about delivering valuable products, leading cross-functional teams in building features, re-engineering processes, and have amazing customer empathy, this may be a superb position for you!
This team member will work with other members of the website delivery team to manage technical aspects associated with the City’s website redesign project. Last year, the website received 2.5 million unique visitors, an average of 7,000 daily visitors. As the City’s digital front door to the City of San Jose, the new website will strive to provide the public with up-to-date, accurate information and meet a high standard of usability consistent with the Smart City Vision for a “user-friendly city.”
Responsibilities include establishing and managing an implementation plan that ensures all technical functionality and system performance requirements are understood met and tested prior to website launch.
The successful candidate will also work in tandem with the City’s Communications and Digital Services teams to deliver exceptional customer experience.
Skills and responsibilities
- Establishes and manages an implementation plan for ensuring all technical functionality and system performance requirements are understood met and tested prior to website launch.
- Establishes and manages critical technical documentation including technical requirements and standards documents and technical architectural diagrams.
- Establishes an inventory with necessary technical documentation for all web based applications that interface with the city’s website.
- Establishes and manages a plan for ensuring all web based applications function appropriately in the redesigned website prior to launch.
- Establishes and manages a cutover plan for launching the city’s new website that includes technical change management protocols, domain management protocols, freeze dates and a rollback strategy.
- Establishes an ongoing support plan detailing handoffs, responsibilities and escalations.
- Coordinates with the webmaster and UX lead to drive timeline and scope of deliverables with vendor, central team and the extended team.
- Coordinates with the contracted website solution Project Manager to ensure various technical components of complex apps work and are tested on a variety of devices and browsers across all of Vision’s technical environments.
- Escalates critical issues to other team leads and executive sponsor.
- Supervises technical testing resources.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidates will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Ability to expertly engage with internal and external customers to build meaningful products, services, and processes.
- Expertise in working across and balancing functional, technical, product owned, and customer inputs to set agreed direction.
- Technical acumen to work across teams to successfully deliver and sustain products and services. Translates requirements. Creates technical solutions and integrations. Coordinates processing with business units to render superior customer experience and communication.
- Strong project management ability to achieve schedule, cost, and scope/quality goals.
- Experience in diverse project and product management methodologies. Ability to lead agile implementations, drive releases through sprints. incorporate customer collaboration, and quickly resolve issues.
- Experience working with third party development partners, managing contracts and change orders, and administering project resources.
- Proficiency with Customer Centric Design, user stories, personas, customer journeys to create amazing customer experience.
- Demonstrated success in enterprise-class product implementation, solutions built with omni-channel multi-faceted features: mobile, web, analytics, social media interface, google map interface, etc.
- Technical hands-on experience of applications development and operational support with Oracle cloud applications environment, Oracle Service Cloud, Integration Cloud Services is highly desirable.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Technology Use/Management – Uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
Leadership – Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.