At Bloom, we partner with state and local governments to design and build digital services. We make government work like we all think it should, fix services that have become siloed or ineffective, and increase the digital muscle of the organizations we work with so they have the capacity to build and own their own tech futures.
We’ve partnered with the State of Connecticut to build and improve services critical to families with young children, and stand up a digital service team ready to roll with projects that will most improve services for high needs populations. We’re working with the Department of Administrative Services and the Office of Early Childhood to make Connecticut an example of what’s possible when we build (or rebuild) services from citizen’s needs upwards.
In this role, you will
- Work on a cross functional team of designers, developers, and subject matter experts to build and ship products and services. This includes daily standups, retrospective meetings, and providing weekly updates.
- Establish and uphold best practices for the team that improve overall code quality, maintainability, security, and team collaboration and productivity.
- Design and spec out prototypes.
- Build major functionality that is mission critical for high-need populations.
- Participate in planning and breaking down requirements into tasks.
- Systematically debug and resolve issues when they occur.
- Review code and provide feedback.
- Propose new tools and practices, while understanding that, in this environment, at times the decisions around tools lie outside of our control.
- Work in close partnership with government teams to transfer skills and product knowledge throughout the course of the project.
- Participate and value user feedback, embrace working iteratively and incorporating learnings along the way.
Skills and responsibilities
We’re looking for
- Experience shipping products in an agile environment.
- Passion for creating simple, elegant user experiences.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Relationship builder who enjoys working with a variety of people and functions. You should be able to listen, ask questions to discern true nature of problems, and synthesize needs (from internal and external stakeholders) into an actionable product roadmap.
- Extensive experience using analytical and creative thinking to solve problems.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Positive attitude and a sense of humor. Empathetic, collaborative, and able to adapt in the face of constraints.
- Experience with iterative product development and human centered design practices
- Preference given to candidates with knowledge of product management technologies and best practices (e.g. Trello, GitHub).
Philadelphia,PARemote with occasional trips to Hartford, CT
- This job is remote friendly.
At least five years of professional experience as a software engineer on a cross functional team.