Social Interest Solutions is a non-profit on a bold mission: to remove the barriers between people and the services and support that matter most. We are policy experts and technologists, determined leaders and compassionate innovators, united by our desire to do whatever it takes to solve complex problems in access to health and social services. We create technology solutions that put people first.
Social Interest Solutions employees dig deep into how our clients work and the challenges faced by the people they serve, so we can streamline complicated processes and design smart solutions that work better for everyone. At SIS, every employee has a role in ensuring that nobody falls through the cracks. We put people and their unique needs at the center of what we do. Each client we work with is different, and each community they aim to serve unique, so our technology must flex to each opportunity.
SIS is looking for an energetic “digital native” who can see beyond limits in solving problems connecting people to support services. In particular, SIS is looking for a Senior Analyst for Technology Prospecting and Research (SA-TPR) to provide inspired and sound technical investigation and research within the Strategy and Innovation (S&I) function of SIS. Technology and Policy innovations will provide opportunities for growth and efficiency throughout the organization and this person will be central to identifying, validating, and introducing digital technology to support innovation activities throughout SIS. The SA-TPR will communicate with vendors and potential partners as well as S&I leadership, and team-members. At the direction of the Chief of Technology and Design, they will seek out, investigate, and (when appropriate) conduct research into existing and early stage digital innovations available in the open software and commercial market. The SA-TPR must be curious, able to balance risk and opportunity, and able to assess external innovations in the context of three essential questions: 1) Does the innovation support an acknowledges need or request; 2) Is the innovation mature enough for integration into the SIS portfolio and scaling to production levels 3) Does the innovation give SIS a competitive advantage.
Skills and responsibilities
- Prospects, researches and investigates and (when appropriate) conducts secondary and primary and research into promising technologies in support of the Technology and Design team.
- Ability to identify technologies that will need to be further researched by the SA-TPR and more complete reports/presentations of those technologies prepared for the SIS Senior Leadership Team (SLT), and at times the Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
- Ability to demonstrate a vigorous curiosity for existing and evolving technology and to channel that curiosity into proactive investigation of interesting, potentially relevant products and services.
- Expected to be the initial contact for identifying and establishing technical partnerships.
- Investigate, research, and document innovations in support of the Strategy and Innovation team.
- Ability to work closely with the Chief of Technology and Design to identify candidate technologies for investigation, and to prioritize research and reporting underway.
- Ability to prospect into technologies and innovations across the broad technology landscape.
- Participates in conferences, connections with potential technology partners, and keeping abreast of relevant blogs and information-sharing sites.
- Ability to prepare present and communicate promising technologies and innovations to multiple audiences.
- Other duties as assigned
Oakland,CABase location is Oakland but may be required to travel to Sacramento Office.
- Deadline: n/a
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a technology analyst in venture capital or research organizations (such as Gartner Research, Forrester Research, or similar). Alternatively, product manager, technology evangelist, or driver of technology partnerships at an online web-delivered services company or an open-source software vendor (such as Red Hat, SugarCRM, Zoho, etc).
- Proven experience creating concise technology reports and summaries.
- Experience with software tools, including Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, and HTML.
- Experience with both Windows and Mac operating systems
- Experience with the use of mobile interfaces (both iOS and Android) in an enterprise environments
- Ability to “cross-translate” and communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical people
- Self-starter, proactive, and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and exercise initiative
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM field, ideally Computer Science or Engineering or 5-7 years of equivalent experience in a related field.