The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates a budget of $4.1 billion, 6,000+ employees, and serves 1+ million residents and businesses across 180 sq. miles.
We aspire to be as innovative as the community we serve.
The Information Technology Department (IT) aims to provide meaningful impact through smart uses of technology in service to our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, and the City Customer Contact Center, powered by a robust infrastructure of an expansive municipal area network, compute and storage. IT provides citywide strategic planning, enterprise architecture, product-portfolio management, and IT fiscal services.
Come join us realize San José’s Smart City Vision!
The Information Technology Department is currently recruiting for a Business Process Analyst within the Enterprise Productivity and Collaboration Team. This position will play an important role in enabling digital transformation and automation of most, if not all, of the City’s administrative processes which are currently manual and paper based.
Skills and responsibilities
Key duties include but are not limited to:
- Supports the City’s Business Process Automation efforts.
- Develops deep expertise of the City’s internal and client-facing productivity, collaboration and business process automation technologies and documents complex software functionality.
- Understands the City’s business processes and business productivity goals across different product domains.
- Participates in product discovery phase by helping Project/Product Managers gather, define, and refine requirements through sessions with end-users, subject-matter experts, and product owners.
- Facilitates the negotiation of requirements amongst multiple stakeholders.
- Assists Product Owners in documenting business requirements, functional product specifications, and “As Is” and “To Be” business process flows for our internal and/or external facing productivity, collaboration, and business process automation technologies.
- Provides impact analyses related to business requirements that could impact multiple departments.
- Participates and provides inputs into SCRUMs with Agile software development and business teams to contribute to building the right solution.
- Participates in product release cycles as the product expert, including user acceptance testing sessions, to help surface any issues prior to a release.
- Leads efforts to develop training / user education materials and strategies.
- Assists in managing scope, issues, and customer expectations for assigned projects.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all levels of customers and technology staff.
- Deadline: n/a
Education: A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Information Management Systems or a closely related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly progressive experience in computer systems applications programming.
Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of directly related work experience may be substituted for up to a maximum of two years of the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- 2+ more years of experience with gathering information system requirements, technical analysis, and end user training techniques.
- Approaches to business process reengineering through business process automation.
- "As Is" and "To Be" information and business process modeling.
- Agile methodology.
- Ability to communicate functional business requirements to technical developers.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Change Management – Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Conflict Management – Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people, by presenting the facts, analysis, and conclusions or solutions that show command of content and perspectives and interests of the audience.
Multi-tasking – Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).