The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates a budget of $3.7+ billion, 6,500+ employees, and serves 1+ million residents and businesses across 180 sq. miles.
We aspire to be as innovative as the community we serve.
The Information Technology Department (IT) aims to provide meaningful impact through smart uses of technology in service to our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, and the Customer Contact Center, powered by a robust infrastructure of an expansive municipal area network, compute and storage. IT provides citywide strategic planning, enterprise architecture, product-portfolio management, and IT fiscal services.
Come join us realize San José’s Smart City Vision!
The City of San José, Information Technology Department, seeks an Enterprise Collaboration and Productivity Technologies Manager. This position is responsible for understanding Citywide customer needs to lead an essential program defined by: strong architecture, user adoption, enterprise content management, business process automation, and incremental effect through product software.
The ideal candidate possesses extensive technical experience delivering solutions for the Microsoft ecosystem at scale in a significant enterprise, as well as superior customer service and engagement skills.
Skills and responsibilities
- Owns the product vision, strategy, and roadmap for collaboration and productivity platforms.
- Defines and delivers solutions using Microsoft SharePoint, Office365, and the Microsoft ecosystem.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and interacts with customers, senior management, City teams, and vendor partners.
- Leads modernization, digital transformation, workflow automation, and related process re-engineering efforts by educating the user community on features and capabilities through presentations and demonstrations.
- Oversees governance and project management activities for the productivity and collaboration product line to ensure user adoption, while simultaneously providing standardization necessary for security, compliance and discoverability.
- Creates compelling end user adoption strategies.
- Leads and develops team members.
- Works with product owners, stakeholders, and developers to define and deliver high-value features.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity that presents important challenges, want to help a City thrive through productivity and collaboration technology and have an excellent record of leading essential business-technical programs, this is the role for you!
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in computer science, information systems, business administration, or closely related field.
Experience: Seven (7) years of experience managing, maintaining and implementing significant technology programs, computer system infrastructure and design, network operations, security design, application development and configurations and system/servicer administration, including a combination of five (5) years of supervisory and project personnel management experience, of which at least two (2) years should be supervisory experience over a technical team.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following desirable competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- 3 or more years of experience architecting and implementing a vision, strategy and roadmap for Microsoft and related productivity and collaboration tools.
- Advanced knowledge and experience managing electronic content / document management tools, collaboration tools, productivity tools and business process automation tools.
- Deep technical and architectural understanding of administration and functional capabilities of Microsoft SharePoint, Exchange, Office365, and other parts of the Microsoft ecosystem.
- Proven ability to lead business solution projects to successful conclusion with diverse teams to effectively achieve high adoption and user satisfaction of productivity and collaboration solutions.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Leadership – Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Change Management – Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Vision/ Strategic Thinking – Supports, promotes, and ensures alignment with the organization’s vision and values; understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; builds a shared vision with others and influences others to translate vision to action.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.