California’s court system is the largest in the world and serves more than 38 million people. The Judicial Council of California (JCC) manages that system and this year, the JCC is starting a new team, California Courts Digital Services, to improve access to justice for Californians with technology and design.
California Courts Digital Services is leading the Digital Self-Help Pilot, researching and prototyping new interactions for people accessing the court without a lawyer. In Spring 2019, the team will begin work on a website to assist Self Represented Litigants across the state. We are experimenting with case types that touch the experience of divorce, credit card debt collection, record expungement, name/gender change and traffic fines.
The Technical Project Manager will work with a cross-functional team (including engineers, designers, lawyers and judges) to shape the Court’s approach to the digital experience of California’s justice system. They are accountable for creating the environment for the internal team and vendor partners to successfully deliver the Self Represented Litigant Portal. This role touches all aspects of the process, including design, content, engineering and product.
Skills and responsibilities
- Setting up the version of agile process the team needs to build and iterate a user-centred website.
- Oversee streams of work amongst multiple teams including the internal web team, the content team, and external vendors.
- Directly manage coordination and delivery with vendor partners towards successful implementation of a new Drupal Content Management System to serve as the environment for alpha, beta, releases of a website supporting self represented litigants. (Vendors have their own project managers)
- Collaborate with the internal web services team and vendor partners to ensure the platform has the capability to support multiple web properties.
- Making sure accessibility is factored into each feature or activity the team’s working on.
- Removing obstacles or ‘blockers’ to progress
- Helping the team become better at autonomously organizing their own work
- Experience working in similar roles in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Experience with Drupal or implementing Content Management Systems
- Experience working in a government context