California’s court system is the largest in the world and serves more than 38 million people. The Judicial Council of California (JCC) manages that system and this year, the JCC is starting a new team, California Courts Digital Services, to improve access to justice for Californians with technology and design.
California Courts Digital Services is leading a Digital Self-Help Pilot, researching and prototyping new interactions for people accessing the court without a lawyer. In Spring 2019, the team will begin work on a Portal effort to support the Self Represented Litigants across the state. We are experimenting with case types that touch the experience of divorce, credit card debt collection, record expungement, name/gender change and traffic fines.
The Senior Engineer will work with a cross-functional team (including researchers, designers, lawyers and judges) to shape the Court’s approach to the digital experience of California’s justice system.
The Lead Software Engineer is a full stack developer who will lead the technical development of prototypes that improve access to Court services across the state by meeting user needs.
Skills and responsibilities
- Implementing new, user-friendly interfaces for court services using a mix of off-the-shelf and bespoke technology. Including a python, yaml, mark-down based document assembly platform called DocAsemble.
- Developing approaches to performing data validation and integration between a variety of different environments. Drupal experience is highly desirable.
- Communicate with JCC and local court technology leaders about platform decisions.
- Coach junior developers on modern development practices.
- Provide implementation help and guidance on cloud infrastructure
- Work directly with the product team to determine priority and appropriate technical solution for product needs
- Describing technical infrastructure and planning requirements to non-technical stakeholders
San Francisco,CARequires at least one week in office per month
- This job is remote friendly.
- Have teamwork experience with designers, engineers, and government stakeholders.
- Believe in user-centered design and design research.
- Strong experience navigating modern cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Strong experience writing maintainable and performant Python code
- Willingness and ability to pick up new programming languages and stacks as necessary